By Far The WORST bar on the Island!!

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

Jagerman17

By Far The WORST bar on the Island!!

Postby Jagerman17 » Sun May 22, 2005 5:43 pm

This post should probobly go on the "bars and nightlife" section but I wanted it to go where the most people would see it so I can see how many agree with me. As I rarely post on here but always looking in and checking on things, I only post when there is something good. Now as some on this forum know me well (pbosak, mills) they know that the only time I am ever in a bad mood or do not have a smile on my face as I run around the island and A Dock is when Frostys runs out of Jager (never happens!) The only thing I am guilty of is passsing out hugs and shots of Jager! and lots of them as some can attest!!!

But I was up at the island this past weekend (May 20, 21st) for the third time this year already (I know that is just sickening! :wink: LOL) and I must say, although I have never been a fan of the beer barrel, this weekend confirmed to me that that bar IS WITHOUT A DOUBT the worst bar on the island! Now like I said, everyone goes up to the island to have drinks, cuts back and have some fun -- and the people who know me know that I am the poster boy for this as I buy more drinks and shots for others who I meet than I do for myself because I am always in such a good mood and having a great time with all the people I know on that island!! This past Saturday I was told very disrespectfully (by the beer barrell "backsreet boys bouncers") that I was not allowed in because I was drunk ... now this was stunning to me as I was not sure if something changed, but correct me if I am wrong but there are ALOT of people on that island that are drunk...I would say 99% that are on that main street!

Now a couple things that struck me as odd:
1. Personally (again others who know me very well can attest to this) the more I drink the only thing I am guilty of is passing out hugs and shots -- you will flat out not find a more happy person in your entire life up at that island! So I was not being onnoxious, angry, rude or unable to control myself ... again I was having a good time.

2. "The Backstreet Boys Bouncers" who in the heck are these kids going to stop from fighting should a fight ever break out in that place. These kids look like they just graduated from middle school and are on their way to finally being able to buy "smokes" These guys have no reason to be throwing around attitude -- it is actually amusing and funny to me. These guys couldn't stop a girl scout troop. I feel bad for anyone in the middle of a fight in that place. I hope you dont accidentally get in the middle because those guys will not help you out. (god forbid anyone fights at that island at they are a moron if they do!)

I was on my way to meet the Daileys as I know Pat well (Pat can also personally attest to me being a stand up person) and I was going to have a drink with his wife but that obviously did not happen because I was "drunk" That bar is a joke to me. From all the things I have heard on this forum about the owner trying to break up customer appreciation parties, to the way they at times treat people, to the general "dungeon atmosphere" of that ugly, dreary bar .... it is just plain terrible! And if people say .. "well it is always packed" ... well no kidding. You could put anything there and it would be crowded! There are only so many bars on that main strip and there are literally thousands of people every weekend -- where else are they going to go. Of course it is going to be packed! But I will tell you this, you could have a cage full of monkeys open a straw hut and serve drinks and it would be packed because of the location -- in fact I would rather that be there!

At least these other bars like Ed's, Frostys and other establishments care about their customers and at least have some kind of a clue.

I could go on for days, but the bar is absoltly terrible! And although I will never go in there again, (I never went in anyways) it just reassures why I never go in there and reconfirms what everyone else tells me about how they feel the same way and hate it so much. If that was the only bar on the island, I would sit in my car or on our boat by the water and drink by myself.

hey that's it -- I'm out

admin1
Site Admin

Postby admin1 » Sun May 22, 2005 8:22 pm

I have to say that the points you have brought out are very well documented by others as well. It is a shame that such a small group of narrow minded people that operate that establishment take that attitude with our tourist.

Many people ask why other establishments that they operate are banned from this website. It is exactly for this reason. The owner of this particular establishment has done things that in most communities would be considered ridiculous. You as tourist and patrons vote with your dollars and I suggest you go where you are treated well, and receive a good value.

Ed of Mr. Ed's is a partner of mine and I can assure you that you will never see that type of "Gestapo" antics there or at many of the other bars where people are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for the honest insight to what goes on there.

mobay

Postby mobay » Sun May 22, 2005 10:38 pm

While I am glad that it is not just me that has had problems with that place at the same time it is really sad that it isnt just myself that has had problems. The worst part is when I talk to people about Put-In-Bay the first thing out of their mouth is the Rear Barrel. The fact that there are so many nice establishments up there and the one that gets all the attention is by far the worst of the bunch is terrible.
I miss the old Mr. Ed's. I still hate the Beer Barrel. I'm diggin' Hooligans. And Mills isn't the only hot guy up there now with a bald head!

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Mon May 23, 2005 8:30 am

I was up this weekend and didn't go there and talked with some locals about what happened.

Mills

Postby Mills » Mon May 23, 2005 12:31 pm

I can say that Jagerman is definitely a stand up guy who is always happy and nice! Come to think of it I cannot remember him ever not smiling while on the island!! Unbelieveable that happened and we will have to make sure we spread the word about that bar under it's new name "THE ARMPIT OF AMERICA"!!!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Taz

Postby Taz » Mon May 23, 2005 3:01 pm

BOYCOTT that place!
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

JETMAN

Beer Barrel

Postby JETMAN » Mon May 23, 2005 4:38 pm

I quit going to that place 6 years ago. I can't stand it or the people who operate it. I'm in for a boycott.
What happens at the bay stays at the bay!

kindy52

Postby kindy52 » Tue May 24, 2005 6:59 am

Yeah, Bars Against Drunks, That makes perfectly good sense!

Sincerely,

Christians against Christ

pbosak

Postby pbosak » Tue May 24, 2005 7:08 am

To be honest, I am stunned at what happened. I have heard the horror stories about the Beer Barrel and even witnessed a few incidents that I thought were messed up and uncalled for, but to deny Jagerman17 entry into that place because he was "drunk" is ridiculous. I could understand it if someone were so drunk, they could not control themselves or could not even talk but the worst Jagerman ever does is give you a hug and show you his break dancing skills. I feel the real reason Jagerman was denied entry was because they knew he was not going to be buying their over priced watered down drinks, therefore, it was not going to benefit the Beer Barrel to let him in. Plus there are a lot of "bouncers" that are on a power trip working at that place. They have like 20 of them working at all times. I mean, this is the bay, not Iraq. We are up there to have a good time and relax, not to be hasseled and treated like it's an honor to be let into the bar. I mean it's like you're going through customs every time you visit that place. I'm just glad there are a lot of other bars for me to spend my money.

Jagerman17

Postby Jagerman17 » Tue May 24, 2005 8:10 am

Hey pbosak, admin, and mills ... I am not sure if you guys are interested but come on over to A Dock (pbosak will be there already and I am assuming mills) and we can fire up some Root Beer Floats and Popcorn for the big memorial day weekend! And maybe, just maybe (because it is a crazy weekend for memorial day) we can all split a 6-pack of Wine Coolers and really get nuts! But we have to make sure we don't get "drunk" because the "Backstreet Boys" may lay the smack down and beat us with their armani belts.

The funny thing is, you have people literally walking around the streets looking for fights and being total punks (what the island is not about) and they are not going to let me in as I am laughing my butt of and saying how I am going in to see Pat (Dailey) and his wife and I cant go in. I even tried reasoning with him and using my "island pull" and saying how many many bar owners on the island can attest for me but to no luck. I really think they just enjoyed using their "Jr. Sheriff" badges. Hey .... what is the name of that "cop" on the movie Scream -- isn't it "Officer Doofy"

Well so far we have Officer Doofy and The Backstreet Boys. Not to bad.

And you know what Admin, (going back to the time we spoke over the phone while I was still living in Florida and we were discussing advertising on the site) I will be having a different business venture for my company upcoming that involves the island and will be very successful I know this already based on feedback I have already gotten ( I can't let the cat out of the bag just yet, but it is pretty good .. just ask pbosak if it wil be good! :wink: ) and I will not feature that bar anywhere near or anywhere on anything I do. Will it make a difference in his pocket books? Probobly not that much, and it probobly will not make a difference to him because again, anything can be there and be successful due to location but the fact that I know I can feature the island and not have that establishment anywhere near anything or anywhere in sight is good enough for me. And when people ask, "where is the beer barrel" I will know why it is not there (along with many others) and that is good enough for me.

I just think that when you take care of people they will prove to take care of you in return and vice versa ... at least that is what I have learned in my years of doing business. And I deal with multi-million dollar, pampered professional NFL atheletes.

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue May 24, 2005 10:36 am

You can count me in Jagerman! I will be to dock A around 1:00 Friday!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

kindy52

Postby kindy52 » Tue May 24, 2005 11:10 am

Hey Jagerman,

I think I may know where they live....

http://image22.webshots.com/23/4/45/4/3 ... AzE_ph.jpg

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Tue May 24, 2005 11:30 am

Mills, who are you staying with?

WE'll be there Friday night and I will bring some fake redbull and some orange vodka, O-Bombs!

I am skipping the wtermelon soaked with Vodka because it's too much of a hassle and takes up a whole cooler on a already very packed boat.

WE'll meet up for some drinks somewhere othher than the reer barrel, as junior sheriffs scare me, and I don't like the backstreet boys that much, they are not as good as N'Sync by far... :D

(that was a joke)

Can't wait.

I will post a thread regarding somewhere to meet, maybe over at the boathouse with PIB Patty or just on the docks.

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Tue May 24, 2005 11:53 am

i'll be on whatever docks you want me on... me and jen will be ready to party this weekend... we'll be staying with captain matt and mister kay... friday and saturday night only though. I have family to cater to on sunday!
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

jlobe2112

Postby jlobe2112 » Tue May 24, 2005 12:03 pm

My roommate Amy and I (Jen) will be on Don's boat, most likely on Dock A. Probably will be next to, if not, close to Paul's boat. We're driving up with Mills. So, we'll meet up with whoever to down a few!!

Can't wait only 3 more freakin' days!!!
A friend's quote, "Don't sweat the petty stuff... pet the sweaty stuff!"

Return to “General Topics”