Favorite Bars

A place to discuss best places to dine, party or your favorite entertainer!

Moderator: admin1

mobay

Favorite Bars

Postby mobay » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 pm

So I'm not sure how much traffic this site gets these days, but I am curious on opinions if there are any out there. My current top 5 favorite bars are as follows:

1. Frosty's - Nothing changes here. Every time I go in there, I meet cool people and have fun. The staff is great (even the underage kids who check ID's at the door despite the fact they are a little snarky) and it always has a great vibe no matter what time it is. The bartender who looked a little like Britney Spears kicked butt.

2. Boathouse - The most versatile spot downtown.

3. Hooligans - I'm really impressed. The food was good. The service was great. The attention to detail was outstanding. I bought a T-Shirt. I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. I hope I can catch the season opener for Notre Dame and celebrate my birthday there on September 4th

4. Put-In-Bay Brewery - I didn't actually make it over there this past visit, but I love their pizza. My previous spot to watch ND games on Saturdays may have lost it's spot.

5. Roundhouse - It's been hit or miss for me. Either it's been a lot of fun, or it's been a dud. No in between. I go back only because I know for every dud, there will be a crazy party. Saturday was dud. I predict insanity the next visit.

Off the list: Mr. Ed's. - I was really hoping this time up that something would change for me. I miss the old Ed's. It was cozy, it had character. It was a nice place to chill during the day and meet new people, it was a great place after dark to get a little crazy. I could actually spend all day there (and did a few times). The new (not so new anymore) Ed's is a boring, cavernous concrete tool magnet that can't seem to decide if it is a live music venue, sports bar or overrated night club. I know my opinion doesn't matter much when there is a line of tools a block long waiting to get in at 9PM but I probably won't be spending much time there on future visits.

On a side note, even an empty weed covered lot with a sign that said "Mr. Ed's" would still be better than the Rear Barrel. For what it's worth.
I miss the old Mr. Ed's. I still hate the Beer Barrel. I'm diggin' Hooligans. And Mills isn't the only hot guy up there now with a bald head!

Mills

Re: Favorite Bars

Postby Mills » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:53 am

1) Mist (during the day)
2) Mr. Ed's bar (sorry mobay gotta stay loyal to all my buddies there)
3) Boathouse (great place to eat or drink) Lunch on the patio is awesome and the bands are usually good!
4) Frosty's (1st place I go on the island for breakfast/drinks)
5) Fish Bowl (great place to get away from crowds) only downside is it can get pretty hot in there!
6) Brewery for last call and Cameo's pizza to end the night

P.S. I do agree Hooligans has a great atmosphere and their food is good! I do miss Odd Fellow's seafood special on Thursday nights though :(

P.P.S Rita's Cantina on the Boardwalk is a great place to catch a frozen drink and have a taco :D
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

mobay

Postby mobay » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:04 pm

What kind of taco's are we talking about here??

I'm all about the loyalty, that's really the only reason I thought about giving Ed's another try last weekend. But it's jut not there for me.
I miss the old Mr. Ed's. I still hate the Beer Barrel. I'm diggin' Hooligans. And Mills isn't the only hot guy up there now with a bald head!

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:19 am

I would rate the taco's as decent, not earth shaking, but pretty good! I would say the view, open air, and drinks trump the food though. It is a basic taco with meat, lettuce, and cheese. You can also get taco salad which was good too.
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Return to “Bars, Restaurants and Nightlife”