Middle Bass Island

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

JodellandJon

Middle Bass Island

Postby JodellandJon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:38 am

Need some help here, we have been coming to the bay for over 10 years, and have never been over to Middle Bass. :? We will be up to PIB for Spring Fling and want to check out Middle Bass FINALLY!!! For my first stupid question... Where does the ferry depart from to get over there? Is it by the Boardwalk? I looked on Miller's website, and I can't find anything about going from PIB to MBI???? We get there way too early on Friday to start drinking (we are pushing 40, and just can't start that early!! LOL, we would be in bed passed out by 5:00!!), so we thought we would venture over to Middle Bass and look around. Second stupid question, any suggestions on things to do over on Middle Bass? Thanks for your help!!
Married at the Bay in 2003!!!

WCM

Re: Middle Bass Island

Postby WCM » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Sonny-S runs from The Boardwalk to MBI only I am not sure if it will be running on Friday May 1 (perhaps Saturday would be more likely).

What to do there? Well, if you have bikes that would be something to do. Otherwise, you could check out the new marina that will eventually be a full out state park and have lunch at Hazards or Walleyes although, again, I am not sure if they will be open that early in the season on a Friday afternoon....

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks WCM! I was wondering if it was too early in the season to really enjoy much over there. Oh well, maybe we will just take our time getting up there. We will try it again over the summer.

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:58 pm

Oh there is a lot to check out on Middle Bass!! Bryan is the one to really give you a real inside look since he has a house on the island...

However, I would take your own personal tour around the old Lonz Winery, Lonz mansion, and George Lonz old boathouse a little past where the Miller docks on MBI!! Pretty cool to see all those things, we actually did it in January when snow was on the ground and it was a really cool experience!! I could spend hours looking around the island. The new marina is starting to look good too so check that out.

Walleyes should be open so take in a few drinks and lunch is always a good time! Not sure about Hazzards... probably not open though?
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:08 am

Thanks Mills, I have read your posts with Bryan, and thought it sounded pretty interesting over there. Not as crazy as PIB, but an enjoyable afternoon.... something to do while passing time during the cooler season, since the pools aren't open yet.

Mills

Postby Mills » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 am

Oh yea I forgot about the trip reports... I would say get to the island early like you said and check out MBI, before the trees and weeds are in bloom so you can move around easier.. Lonz alone is worth it since it has sooo much history attached to it!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:27 pm

I think we might give it a try. We were trying to think of something / some place to stop on the way up to kill time.... Just can't seem to think of anything. Not much along I-75 to do!! Its a boring ride from Troy north! I am sure you can relate.... We drop our daughter off in Sidney for school at 7:45, so there is no reason to turn around and go back home. We live a half hour from Sidney. Thats why we get to the island so early. I'm sure you have seen these two little towns on your way up to the island.

Mills

Postby Mills » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:05 pm

Oh yea we are about an hour and 15 minutes or an hour and a half away from Sidney I would estimate... So you have about 2 hour drive right? You should be to the ferry by 9:30 or 10:00. I would grab breakfast at Frosty's then hit MBI :lol:
Mills, from Cincinnati

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Yep, thats how long it takes us. Her high school is right off the third Sidney Exit, you can see it from the interstate. Its Lehman Catholic High School. We actually live in Covington, Ohio, which is a small little Amish community on the other side of Troy out in the middle of the corn fields!! LOL

I think we will do just that!! Can you rent golf carts over on MBI?

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:23 am

Well, I found the Sonny -S Schedule... It dosen't start running until May 16th! What a bummer. Oh well, guess we will have to try some other time!

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Ahhh that is a bummer!! :cry:

May will still be a good time!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:10 pm

We will just have to take our good ol' time getting up to the island. I will have to stop and shop some where, maybe the Lima Mall...... ha ha My husband will love that!!! NOT!!!!

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:45 pm

JodellandJon wrote:Well, I found the Sonny -S Schedule... It dosen't start running until May 16th! What a bummer. Oh well, guess we will have to try some other time!

Just ride with Capt Stan with Great Escape Charters (419-707-2665), He can pick you up right there at the board walk and take you to MBI, he operates 24 hours a day too!
He took Jennifer and I to the Bay for the Round house Whiskey Light party last Sat, I think his fares are $8.00 per person.

There isn't a whole lot to do on MBI, even in the summer. Lonz is like one huge museum exhibit, it has a wild story to tell...you just got to read between the lines to hear it.
There are a couple of bald eagle nests on MBI, those birds are a sight to behold.
Chris (the owner of Walleyes) rents carts and bikes, I dont recall them being available as of last week, but he"ll have them soon.
MBI is a great place to relax and take in the beauty of Lake Erie, impssible not to love!

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Great! Thanks for the info Bryan! We will give him a call and head over to MBI for the afternoon on Friday! We will eat lunch and look around Lonz.

Return to “General Topics”