It's official...

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

islander

Postby islander » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:04 am

Bryan you are going to be living almost in the back yard of a family who is related to Count Rehburg, who built the big club house you see in many of the West End Club photos. I also know of some one who has a lot of history on the West End Club, probably more than what Mike has posted on his site. However you will have to PM me for his name, because there are some things you should know before you approach him. Part of the "drill".
I collect island history stuff, and the last thing I picked up was rare ca. 1900 postcard of the West End Club.
Mike Gora has a new book out on the history of the islands, it is great and goes back farther than any books on the island yet. Late 1700's through early 1800's. Some great stuff and stories. You can get it at the museum or order it from his site. However when they do the MB home tours, which you might want to do since they go through the West End, in July he will probably have a table set up selling his books at the town hall.
Yes, I did the bootlegger tour last summer, I do every tour of the island and every Aug. we along with the LEIHS hold a historical tour of NB and I do all the history and write most of the booklet. I'm the only North Bass Historian. This year we are going to have a re-enactment of a 1914 wedding that took place on the island...the day Rose became a bride she also became a widow. We will also have a wine bar in the cemetery, crafts, I'll give cemetery tours speaking of the different people...we have some one pretty important buried in there. We'll have lunch again, raffles, prizes for dressing up in period costume. Things like that.
You can also read my story this month in the Gazette, about Simon Fox. I can't decide what I'm gonna write about next month, is there anything any one has ever wondered about NB, maybe I can make something out of it?

And Bullette when you start thinking is all sounds so awesome to live out there, remember most of the people who live there year round struggle to do so. It is very hard if you don't own a business. My family is one of the lucky ones, but most really have a hard time at it, pay check to pay check. However girl I find myself often day dreaming of moving back home to live year round. I would love for my son to go to school there.

islander

Postby islander » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:19 am

Bryan you are going to be living almost in the back yard of a family who is related to Count Rehburg, who built the big club house you see in many of the West End Club photos. I also know of some one who has a lot of history on the West End Club, probably more than what Mike has posted on his site. However you will have to PM me for his name, because there are some things you should know before you approach him. Part of the "drill".
I collect island history stuff, and the last thing I picked up was rare ca. 1900 postcard of the West End Club.
Mike Gora has a new book out on the history of the islands, it is great and goes back farther than any books on the island yet. Late 1700's through early 1800's. Some great stuff and stories. You can get it at the museum or order it from his site. However when they do the MB home tours, which you might want to do since they go through the West End, in July he will probably have a table set up selling his books at the town hall.
Yes, I did the bootlegger tour last summer, I do every tour of the island and every Aug. we along with the LEIHS hold a historical tour of NB and I do all the history and write most of the booklet. I'm the only North Bass Historian. This year we are going to have a re-enactment of a 1914 wedding that took place on the island...the day Rose became a bride she also became a widow. We will also have a wine bar in the cemetery, crafts, I'll give cemetery tours speaking of the different people...we have some one pretty important buried in there. We'll have lunch again, raffles, prizes for dressing up in period costume. Things like that.
You can also read my story this month in the Gazette, about Simon Fox. I can't decide what I'm gonna write about next month, is there anything any one has ever wondered about NB, maybe I can make something out of it?

And Bullette when you start thinking is all sounds so awesome to live out there, remember most of the people who live there year round struggle to do so. It is very hard if you don't own a business. My family is one of the lucky ones, but most really have a hard time at it, pay check to pay check. However girl I find myself often day dreaming of moving back home to live year round. I would love for my son to go to school there.

islander

Postby islander » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:23 am

this thing double posting is driving me nuts! But it keeps telling me the server is down and try back later every time I hit submit...it is making more crazy than I already am :roll:

islander

Postby islander » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:51 am

Bryan will you let me know if you got my pm, it says it was sent but I have no record of it in my account.

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:28 am

Got it and sent return to ya! :D

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:43 pm

Ahh.. see.. life would be the same up there as it is here... I sure can dream about it!
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 am

Figure I better post up some updates, the contractor is moving right along, he got the footers in around the 9th of July.

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:52 am

One more of the footers, (L to R) Leah, the contractor, me, Kevin

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:54 am

Monday the 14th he couldn't do anything because of the ferry schedule, he had to wait for Tuesday's ferry to bring the cement blocks over.
This was taken at noon on Tues...

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:56 am

End of the work day on Tuesday...

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:57 am

Due to the ferry, he couldn't get the rest of the blocks there till Thursday, so nothing got done on Weds.
So the guys worked twice as hard on Thursday! They finnished the foundation by quiting time on the 17th...

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:01 am

Thats about it for now, he did get most of the lumber delivered last week so there better be some hammer to nail action going on! :D

islander

Postby islander » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:51 am

Pretty exciting. :D When do you think they'll have it ready?
Been spending quite a few days, myself, up off MB floating around. 8)

Baywatch

Postby Baywatch » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm jealous! Looks like it's coming right along. When do you think you'll be in? I was at PIB yesterday w/my daughters, beautiful day. Everytime I leave I look back at the island and wish I could just stay!
Baywatch

"I drank to drown my pain, but the damned pain learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good behavior."

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Is-lander, Baywatch...
We're hoping the contractor will be done by the 3rd week of August. The contractor says he'll be done sooner though.
Then it's our turn...we are going to finnish the inside. The electrical and plumbing will be done by the contractor, we will insulate it, hang the dry wall, flooring ect.
It will be a work in progress, but we're hoping it be fully done by late fall.

Return to “General Topics”