Memorial Day 2009

Forum to share your experiences and good times from recent trips and gatherings at Put-in-Bay!

Moderator: admin1

Bryan

Memorial Day 2009

Postby Bryan » Thu May 28, 2009 11:55 pm

I did have 3/4 of a HUGE report typed, but some how it disappeared like a fart in the wind :x so here is the short version...

Got to Middle Bass on Fri

Had too much fun on Sat

Had fun on Sunday

Woke Mills up on Monday with an air nailer!

Mills

Re: Memorial Day 2009

Postby Mills » Fri May 29, 2009 10:13 am

Katie & I left Cincy Saturday morning at 5:00 am and caught the 9:00 Miller ferry. We headed straight to A dock to see if Chuck was ready for breakfast. 1st order of business was Frosty's breakfast including bloody marys :D After breakfast we walked around the new Mist swim bar at the Commodore and there were workers everywhere getting it ready for the 1st weekend in June as that is the [banned] Opening, I verified this with Jeremy!

Around noon we headed back to Chuck's boat to meet Bryan and get the day going. However, Bryan's morning would prove to be a little more hectic than ours :shock: Apparently he bought the wrong size oil filter for his boat and when changing the oil found this out. Long story short he had to fly back to the mainland and get the right one and arrived on A dock around 2:30 instead of noon. Oh well no biggie as Bryan proceeded to make up for lost time by pounding beer after beer for the next 3 hours or so until he realized he had not eaten food all day long :? That is when Bryan had to take a nap and sober up!! Mr. Kay then made an appearance on Bryan's boat and we drank and hung out for a while! Bryan then like a tornado woke up and made a mad dash for the side of the boat to feed the fish LOL!! :P Mr. Kay very nicely sprayed down the side of the boat!!

Around 9:00 Bryan's wife Jennifer, Katie, Mikey, Jerry, and I headed to Tippers for their buffet dinner. This is honestly the 1st time I had ever eaten there in my 10 years coming to the island. I would rate it as a very average buffett.... From here we went to watch our boys the Menu's :D We met back up with Chuck and his wife Katie at the show. Toward the end of the show guess made a miraculous recovery and showed up at the bar :shock: We then attempted to go to Level 2 bar and saw the tallest man on the island who happended to be working the door. Katie boldly asked him "dude how tall are you"? To which he replied "7 ' 2 "!!!! Yes he was 7'2 it was like handing your id to Shaquille O'Neal :shock: We then went to the Brewery for a nightcap and of course pizza! Bryan made a quick stop for some Cameo's pizza and I said hello to Roger.

Sunday I woke up at 7:00 a.m. to our neighbors on the A dock jamming to music and drinking!! True weekend warriors I tell ya!! After chugging 2 waters I went back to bed till 10:00 am when Chuck woke us up to hit Frostys for breakfast and our favorite bloody marys!! Around 12:30 Bryan, Katie, and I took off for Middle Bass to do some work on Bryan's house. Now work is an understatement as Bryan and I carried up approx 5,000 pounds of REAL hardwood up 2 flights of stairs and another 5,000 up 1 flight of stairs. And this was not pergo my friends it was REAL hardwood LOL!! After we completed this we made the best margaritas ever :) While sitting on the back deck we noticed a woman chasing her sheep dog around the golf course and words simply cannot describe how funny this was as the dog seemed to realize how unathletic this woman was and would slow down just enough she could get close but not catch him!! This game went on for maybe 30 minutes while Bryan and I chugged down several margaritas! After boating around the lake for an hour or so Bryan, Jennifer, Katie, and I then headed back to A dock to meet Chuck and the crew to get it all started again. 1st destination was Frosty's for some grub and food. While at Frosty's we ran into our old friends Paul (pbosak) and Paulie!! Frosty's was completely packed with 1,000,000 Cleveland Cavalier fans to watch the Eastern Conference Finals :o The Cavs lost and I was just heartbroken...... OK, seriously I did not care Lol!!! Mr. Ed's was our final destination of the night. Now as many of you know Mr. Eds is like my home away from home and we met up with all our friendly bartenders, bouncers, and of course Ed and Jeremy :lol: The band there was rocking and the Jer-Bear shots were flowing. Katie and Mr. Kay's girlfriend were feeling awfully good after about 4 shots each!! Since Bryan was the designated boater for the night we went back to Middle Bass around 2:30 am and called it a night....

Monday I awoke to the sound of a air nailer as Bryan was busy finishing the last of the ceiling. I guess not drinking will keep a man ambitious and get the work done :D I then sat on the back deck overlooking the gold course and lake and watched the golfers for a while. This is when I figured why not enjoy a beer in the sunny breezy May weather 8) Unfortunately the sheep dog did not make an appearance :cry: Around 4:30 I decided it was time to take a beer nap and prepare for the drive home. After missing the 2:15 and 4:15 ferry's we reluctantly took the last ferry off MBI and headed back to Cincy!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Fri May 29, 2009 10:27 am

Great trip report Mills!! You finally got it posted!! :) Sounds like you all had a great time! We use to do the buffet at Tippers on Friday nights... decided years ago that its over rated! Its okay... but not spectacular. Hope to meet all of you later this summer!! My best friend and I are heading down to Covington, KY the weekend of June 20th for our birthdays, hers is the 23rd and mine is the 25th.... She has an autistic child and needs a break so we decided a girls birthday bash getaway is in order.... She said a girl we went to school with owns a bar in Covington called the Salty Dog.. Ever heard of it??

~Jodell~
Married at the Bay in 2003!!!

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri May 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Hmmm I don't think I have heard of the Salty Dog? Although there are a ton of bars in Covington I have not been to. What other bars are around it? Maybe I have heard of them.
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Fri May 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Friday night we gassed up the boat over at Matt''s house and then headed to my place to watch the wings game. My girlfriend (Andra) got up about 5:30am to get ready, my cousin and I slept till 6:30am and showered and packed the coolers.
We then wanted to stop for breakfast but we were suppose to leave at 7am and Big Apple Bagel wasn't open yet, so the girlfriend wasn't happy, but my cousin and I were cause that meant we had to hit Mickey D's.
Then went to the boat and Matt couldn't leave yet cause his wife was at work and his parents were not there to watch the kid yet.
So we sat around and loaded up the boats.
Ended up leaving around 8am and headed out.
My crew started drinking right away, I of course being the good Captain just drank redbull and coffee.
WE met up with a 3rd boat and made our way over to the Detroit River and all the way down, got to the gas dock and filled up.
Then had a great ride across lake erie with barely a ripple in the water and 70+ degree weather.
We arrived around noon and docked met up with the other boat so we had our own 4 tied off on C-Dock, and only about 4 boats up.
After tying up it was really hot and we decided to all go to the pool bars and enjoy the weather. had a great time at the pool bars. Got drunk and went back to the boat for some grub.
Then went over and saw mills and bryan, bryan wasn't feeling so hot, but we enjoyed the beers and meeting new people.
We then hit the town going to just about every bar on the strip
Saw a cop in front of the longest bar knock a guy down hard, as the guy and his buddy were starting something. Walked away from all of that.
Went back to the boat and put my crew to bed, however my girlfriend and I decided to keep going, so us two and the neighbor couple that came down with us went over to the skyway as the boathouse was closed.
Had a good time there and drank a bunch.
Oh, actually right before we left for the skyway matt was still up on the neighbors boat, he went to walk on the swim platform for some unknown reason and slipped right in. For some reason he had a coat on still, which was hilarious.
He got out and started throwing otu cigerette packs, for some reason he had 3 open packs on him, all lost!! He also had his wallet adn a bunch of otehr stuff. I have pictures of it all that I will post.

So after the skyway we came back adn went to bed.

The next day I slept in per usualy as nothing can wake me up. I slept till almost 11 and everyone was already started on mamossas and bloddy marys.

I had a couple and then a abeer and then it was golf cart rally time!!!

We had 16 people on two carts. First stop was Joe's Bar where we hung on the back patio most of the time. However I did run into the walkers there and bs'ed for a little bit with them, but then they were heading into town.

WE hung out for a while but the wings game was starting so we went over to the skyway. The bartender couldn't get the game on so he called the owner and hooked it up the best he could, it was enough to keep us there. besides the two man, actually one woman adn one man band were a lot of fun outside....making us wear silly hats and such, we had a blast there.

After the game was pretty much over and some people had some food in them to prepare we went to the winery. Once again we had a great time cheering and having a lot of fun. Our 16 man flip cup game turned into a 64 man game. We also have pictures of this I believe.

After that it was back to the boat to eat..think that is when I grabbed some corndogs, which after a weekend of me being on the island they ran out of on Monday. I like corndogs. :D

After eating and resting we headed out to Mr Eds and met up with mills and a bunch of other people. Did some shots and had some drinks. Then I have no idea after that.....back to the boat to hang out for a bit I am guessing.

Next morning got up and had some water and got some lobster bisque with Andra. We then waited around for a bit and tidied up the boat a little before heading out.

The way home was rough. There were 6-7 footers out in the middle of lake erie, although we handled them alright some of my crew were rookies who had never experienced lake erie like that....I warned them on the way down the way home might not be as friendly.

However, the problem with big waves is that you use up a lot more gas....so matt ran out of gas right at the mouth of the detroit river. Onve of the boats that came with us towed him over to boblo.

We gassed up and continued on the way home. 3 of us were partying and having fun and jamming the tunes all the way home.
Lake st clair and the river were not as bad.

After beating matt home we decided to hop on my dinghy and try to meet them on their way in (we keep our boats on a river that takes about 25 minutes to get to the lake), however they were pulling in the canal as we were pulling out so we went for a little cruise around the river.

We then came back and unloaded the boat....which was a mess from lake erie knocking everything over.

After that Andra and I grabbed a movie and some food, and I was sleeping 20 minutes after I finsished eating, about 9pm.

Great times and it was good to see everyone!!! I still have over a fifth and about 10 redbulls still on the boat from shots we forgot to do!!!! :D

Glad everyone had a safe trip!!!!

gomer

Postby gomer » Fri May 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Sounds like everyone had a great trip. Made me get even more excited for my upcoming trip. Mills I haven't been to that Level 2 bar yet. Where is that? It opened up last year after we were there I believe. As for Tippers I give the buffet(breakfast and dinner) about a C-. I have a couple buddies that go with us that always want the steak dinner and I don't think it is good at all. How is the bar food at Mr. Eds? This will be my 6th year to the Bay and I have yet to to be the winery. I am supposed to make it this year. Not going to lie, Im a little scared of it. Seems like all of my buddies that go there come back and are completely crushed and have very short nights.

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Sat May 30, 2009 9:39 am

I'm not sure what bars are around it Mills.... I think i read that its on Huntington Ave.????
Married at the Bay in 2003!!!

Mills

Postby Mills » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:36 am

gomer wrote:Sounds like everyone had a great trip. Made me get even more excited for my upcoming trip. Mills I haven't been to that Level 2 bar yet. Where is that? It opened up last year after we were there I believe. As for Tippers I give the buffet(breakfast and dinner) about a C-. I have a couple buddies that go with us that always want the steak dinner and I don't think it is good at all. How is the bar food at Mr. Eds? This will be my 6th year to the Bay and I have yet to to be the winery. I am supposed to make it this year. Not going to lie, Im a little scared of it. Seems like all of my buddies that go there come back and are completely crushed and have very short nights.

It is over next to Cameo's pizza and by the grocery store and Tony's bar. I am not really a club guy so I have never actually been inside. I am sure one of these trips I will make an appearance just to say I have been before.

As for the winery I had never been until last year so don't feel too bad. It was a good time and I reccommend going early afternoon and not drinking more than a bottle or so by yourself otherwise like you said it could be an early night :cry:
Mills, from Cincinnati

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:20 pm

Wow Mills, your trip report was spot on to what I wrote!

I got to admit I'm pretty fortunate.
Fortunate that I have a crew of great friends that I have met from this board and at PIB. People that I'm proud to know and call them my friend.
All that hardwood flooring Mills helped me carry? Only a true friend would do that!
Chuck's wife Katie checked on me a couple of times while I was in the cabin of my boat "sleeping off" a few too many beers. These are true friends I tell ya!

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 am

Bryan wrote:Wow Mills, your trip report was spot on to what I wrote!

I got to admit I'm pretty fortunate.
Fortunate that I have a crew of great friends that I have met from this board and at PIB. People that I'm proud to know and call them my friend.
All that hardwood flooring Mills helped me carry? Only a true friend would do that!
Chuck's wife Katie checked on me a couple of times while I was in the cabin of my boat "sleeping off" a few too many beers. These are true friends I tell ya!

No problem Bryan and you are right I have met a ton of great friends from this board as well as the island itself! You're my boy Blue!! You're my boy....!!! :D
Mills, from Cincinnati

Return to “Trip Reports!”