Trip Report May 1-3 / Spring Fling Weekend

Forum to share your experiences and good times from recent trips and gatherings at Put-in-Bay!

Moderator: admin1

JodellandJon

Trip Report May 1-3 / Spring Fling Weekend

Postby JodellandJon » Tue May 05, 2009 3:11 pm

This is the first time I have ever posted a trip report... sorry its not as exciting as most, but I tried! :)
Left home at 7:30 a.m., and stopped off for breakfast. We got to the Jett Express around 10:45 a.m., the next Jett did not leave until 11:45 a.m. So we just chilled and waited. Nothing else was open yet around there, so we didn’t have much choice really…. Usually we take the Miller, but my best friend works for a radio station and gave us free tickets for the Jett. We got over to the island around 12:30. Stopped at Harriet’s House and picked up our golf cart, chatted with Denny for a while and then we were off again headed for the English Pines. Dropped our bags off, changed our clothes and then it was finally drinking time, so off to the winery we went. Twisted off the cap to our first bottle of Pink Catawba around 3:30, had some cheese and cracker, then got another bottle. After 2 bottles, we decided it was time to slow down and pace ourselves, we just can’t drink like we used to!! LOL Decided to take a golf cart ride and take a look around the island for a while before we started drinking again. Funniest thing of the weekend (probably had to be there to find it as amusing as we did) We were over by the airport and there was a mama goose , daddy goose (not sure what a male is called) and their goslings in the ditch, I told my husband that it looked like she/he was getting mad the closer we were getting…….sure enough she came flying straight for me, I am screaming my husband is trying to hit it with the golf cart to keep it from attacking me, needless to say I have bruises on my arm from that stupid goose biting me, thank goodness for alcohol and being half tipsy or it might have hurt!! We were laughing so hard we were crying!!!! I laughed about it all weekend. Finally after climbing on top of my husband trying to get away from it and almost crashing our golf cart, she quit attacking me!! I knew geese were mean, but geeze!!!! Ha ha ha from there we went to Mr. Ed’s and talked to Steve! I asked him if he knew what a Jer-bear or “something” like that was. He said yes…. Well after 2 of those and about 6 beers I can honestly say I do not recall much more of the evening!! THANKS MILLS!!!! I read about those darn shots on one of your posts!!! Well my husband wasn’t done yet, so we headed to the Roundhouse to watch Emily’s Toy Box…. We love those guys!! After a bucket of beer and partying with a group we met in there I had to call it quits for the night. Stumbled home and seriously did not get out of bed until noon the next day!

Saturday we started the day off with our annual hangover cure / trip to Mossbacks for cheeseburgers and Bloody Mary’s. Off for another golf cart ride and fresh air, still trying to recover from our hangovers. Of course, where do we end up because we are bored with the golf car ride?? Back at the winery…… starting again, time for round two!! Left there and stopped by Frosty’s for a pitcher of beer, went over to Jetman’s boat, but he wasn’t there. Went up to the Upper Deck at the Boardwalk and had a beer or two or three, who knows!! Still didn’t see any movement at Jetman’s boat, so we gave up and went back to Ed’s, where we met a fun group of bachelors and some lady’s celebrating their 40th birthdays, hung out with all of them on the patio for a few hours. This time Steve bought us a shot, no idea what it was, but thank goodness it wasn’t as strong as the “Jer-Bear” shots!!! After that we went back over to Frosty’s for another pitcher and pizza. Every year we say we are going to go have a “nice dinner” at the Skyway, or Axel and Harry’s for our anniversary, and we never have managed to do it!!! Headed back to the Roundhouse to hear Emily’s Toy Box again. We stopped by the Beer Barrel a couple of times on both days, but it was pretty dead each time we stopped, so we didn’t stick around. Called it quits around midnight on Saturday…

Sunday was a rough day, but we managed to make it back home by 2:00. As usual we had a great time and will be back again in August and October.
Married at the Bay in 2003!!!

Mills

Re: Trip Report May 1-3 / Spring Fling Weekend

Postby Mills » Tue May 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Nice trip report!! I have had anencounter with a goose before too and you are right they are mean as anything especially if they have young around!!

That is hilarious you seeked out the Jer-Bear shot LOL!!! Good times!! Did Jeremy make the shot himself?
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Wed May 06, 2009 7:14 am

Oh yeah, Jeremy made them!! LOL We had to by 2 each time because they use so much alcohol they won't do just one shot. My husband isn't much of a shot person, but he had 2 also.... Wow, those things are deadly!!!! They taste okay, but Steve said they have 6 different liquors and a shot of 151!! No wonder we were trashed after 2!! ha ha Good times though!! Wish I was there right now. I have recover and could go for round 3 about right now!! LOL :lol: I asked Steve if he knew a guy named Mills? He said, yeah isn't he a baseball coach in Cincinnati?? I said, yes I have talked to him on the PIB message boards and told him I had read about the "famous" shots on one of your posts. My husband said, now thats someone who spends a lot of time on the island when the bartenders know him... :wink:

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 am

Oh yes Mr. Ed's/Commodore/tiki pool is definitely my 2nd home when on the island :lol: I guess you can say I know 90% of the employees there LOL!! His shots are definitely potent to say the least :shock: Next time tell Jeremy I sent you to have them and I am sure he will laugh!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Wed May 06, 2009 9:44 am

We will! :) I think Steve might have told him, maybe thats why they were so potent! ha ha Hope you have fun over Memorial Day!! We won't be able to make it back up until sometime in August .... :( We have a busy summer. We are going to California in July, and lots of small weekend trips are planned with friends to Brookville Lake in Indiana, and St. Mary's Lake. They are good times, but nothing comes close to PIB!

bajaboatnut

Postby bajaboatnut » Wed May 06, 2009 9:44 pm

how crowded was the boat docks
Hammer Down!

chucksberg

Postby chucksberg » Wed May 06, 2009 9:47 pm

Everyone could have dockside if they wanted it. Plenty of room.

Mills

Postby Mills » Thu May 07, 2009 8:57 am

JodellandJon wrote:We will! :) I think Steve might have told him, maybe thats why they were so potent! ha ha Hope you have fun over Memorial Day!! We won't be able to make it back up until sometime in August .... :( We have a busy summer. We are going to California in July, and lots of small weekend trips are planned with friends to Brookville Lake in Indiana, and St. Mary's Lake. They are good times, but nothing comes close to PIB!

I bet Jeremy made them extra special LOL!! Thats my boy!!

I have been to Brookville many times and is always a good time!! Have fun and maybe we will see you in August at the Bay :D
Mills, from Cincinnati

admin1
Site Admin

Postby admin1 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks to all of you who attended the biggest spring fling EVER! It was a great weekend and great to see all of you at the bay starting the summer out right! Don't forget to book your rooms for the Fall Ball the first weekend of October. We have a few new suprises and it's always a great time! Just call 888-742 7829 for http://www.putinbayreservations.com

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Fri May 08, 2009 9:44 am

Sounds good Mills! Keep me posted on any possible dates you might be up at the Bay in August! It would be great to meet you and your girlfriend and any one else that posts on the boards! Have a great summer!

rachel

Postby rachel » Fri May 08, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi,
I am new to this site and to pib, we were there for spring fling, I was somewhat disappointed, I do realize it was their "first weekend" of the season and all but the roads were all tore up, hardly anything was open the weather was ok not many boats around and I will never go to the DQ again, it cost $15.00 for two hot fudge sundaes!!!!! on the way home we stopped for the same and paid $6.00 and these were twice the size as the ones on the bay. At the time I didn't know dh had paid that much for them until we got home. If I would of known at the time I would have walked out....
The first night at the Hotel we could not sleep, they were having I think relay races in the hall way and pounding on the doors, you know I can tolerate people having a bit of fun but man that was ridiculous. it was so bad the cops were called in....We did use a cart and cruised the whole island, that was nice, did not really have one decent meal the two days we were there (don't know maybe it was just me). Wait we did have a pretty good breakfast one morning...
Later this summer we might give it another shot, maybe everything will be open then and the roads will be fixed. As we left Monday I did see several asphalt trucks coming over on the ferry so I assume they were laying new roads...It did seem nice you could walk late at night and feel pretty safe.....

Have a good day Rachel

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Fri May 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your trip Rachel. I guess Put in Bay isnt for everyone. :( If you want a quiet place to stay next time, maybe try one of the Bed and Breakfast's. Not everything on the Island is open until after Memorial Day, and a lot of places close in Sept. We like to go in May and Sept. because its not as crowded as the summer months. Guess you have to pick your poison. We really enjoy going to the island, but again its not for everyone. Take care.

chucksberg

Postby chucksberg » Fri May 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Rachel,

Sorry you didn't have a better time. If your looking for a quieter time in the summer, maybe a Tuesday, Wednesday would be better. There aren't a lot of boats in the spring but we were one of them that weekend, You should of joined the board a few weeks earlier and maybe we could of helped you guys. I would not of recommended the Dairy Queen! The roads are a mess this spring but I only drive a golf cart here and there....usually borrowed and mostly walk so that doesn't bother me. The Hotels are noisy pretty much all year at times. Get a bed and breakfast if you don't want to join in that scene. As far as food, the BoardWalk is open and has good food upstairs and a good view, Axel and Harrys also has good food. Pasqualies and Frosty's have pretty good breakfasts, Tippers has a decent Friday Fish buffet if you like a buffet. My favorite place to eat is The Skyway by the airport, great chef and excellent food.
My usual evening starts at the BB or Roundhouse, works its way to Eds, then the The Brewery, usually end the evening having a slice of Pizza on the Cameo patio. Just about everywhere I go is open early April.
Jodellandjon are right, it's not for everybody. Give it another shot, if you still don't like it, try Kelley's

Take care......

Chuck

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri May 08, 2009 7:10 pm

Rachel,

There are so many different types of places you can stay: beds n breakfasts (quiet), hotels (noisier), boat docks (wild in summer) and campgrounds (less expensive). As for places to eat without a doubt Frosty's for breakfast it is excellent!!! Lunch is always nice at the Boathouse or Mr. Ed's patio's as well as the Boardwalk overlooking the lake. Dinner is pretty good at Odd Fellows and for a more up scale dinner Mossbacks is great!! Best pizza is Cameo's late night or anytime for that matter!!! Why go to the DQ when you are in a resort town? Always go to a place you have never been before to try something new. There is a candy/ice cream bar over by the Boathouse and Gazeebo bar & grill that is reasonable.

As for the roads... who really cares???? You are there to have fun not drive around!

You shoulds definitely go Sunday through Thursday when it is much less wild if you don't like noise. Sunday & Thursday are pretty crowded but not crazy crowded like Fri and Saturday. But enough to get a good taste of what the Bay is about without being overwelmed.

And remember prices are going to be more on an island since they have to pay extra for delivery and you are in a resort town therefore expect higher prices...

In May you cannot expect many boaters unless they are hardcore like Chuck LOL!!! You're my boy BLUE!!!! :lol:

Seriously if you have any questions or need more opinions from the experts :wink: just ask and we will give you a good heads up. Hope you will give the Bay another chance :D
Mills, from Cincinnati

Return to “Trip Reports!”