Trip Report April 3-5

Forum to share your experiences and good times from recent trips and gatherings at Put-in-Bay!

Moderator: admin1

BuckNut

Trip Report April 3-5

Postby BuckNut » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:42 am

We headed up Friday and caught the 1:30 ferry over to the island. Let me just say that the sea was angry. The stiff wind was coming in from the northeast and consequently the waves were hitting the catawba dock and a wall of water was coming over the top. Most of the dock was basically a giant puddle. The ferry ride was among the roughest I've ever experienced but uneventful. Arriving at the house it was apparent there had been a pretty big wind storm at some point. The force of the wind was so strong it basically sheared off the flag pole at the base. It had also knocked over a heavy gas grill right onto it's front.

A few things I did notice around the island. The brewery wasn't open over the winter this year. I was under the impression that it had been the last couple of years. Odd Fellows has been for sale and the sign was sitting inside and there was some build out going on. Does anybody know if it has been purchased? Also, the shop between the brewery and Tony's is for sale, though its name currently escapes me.

We went to Skyway and also ate some Cameo's pizza and got the house opened. All in all, a decent weekend even if it was a bit chilly at times.
Go Bucks!!!

admin1
Site Admin

Re: Trip Report April 3-5

Postby admin1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 am

Rumor has it the folks who operate the Boardwalk are going to lease OddFellows. The place for sale is called the Cellar Cache. I for one am ready for warm weather! We will be opening the http://www.putinbayresort.com pool and swim up bar in the next few weeks, heated of course! See you at the Spring Fling!

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:47 am

According to the PIB Gazette that I got yesterday, Odd Fellows is going to be an Irish Pub called McClains. (I think... I am not sure of the exact name). The Gazette also said that Mossbacks was sold, anyone no what is up with that? Hopefully it is going to stay the same, there is nothing better then to get a big hamburger on Saturday to cure a hangover at Mossbacks!
Married at the Bay in 2003!!!

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:55 am

Oh no no no Odd Fellows can't change!!!! I sure hope they keep the same menu especially the Thursday night crab legs, mussels, corn on the cob, and fries b/c for $20 that is heaven!!!

I also agree Mossbacks new owners should not change anything, just simply open the doors :D
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:09 am

Mills,
Wow, we have never went into Odd Fellows! I never knew they had such a great menu! I hope it stays the same too, just so I can try it!! I think the one time we were going to go in, there wasn't anyone in there so we kept going. We are going up to the Island for Spring Fling, I will let you know what I see / hear. According to the Gazette, I guess the Dairy Queen was sold too.... There was a lot happening over the winter on the island! I am sure Dairy Queen will stay the same though... But who knows.

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Oh yes definitely try the Thursday crab and mussels!! If you like seafood you will love it :D I have also had their sandwiches and they are all pretty good, the Reuben is also tasty, and huge!! :shock:

Keep me updated on the new business owners and what not since I won't be able to come to the Bay till late May since I coach college baseball :cry:
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:33 pm

I love seafood, so I will check it out and let you know and keep you posted on everything else for sure.... Coaching college baseball doesn't sound so bad, other then it takes away from early season Bay time. :|

WCM

Postby WCM » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:38 pm

Yes, Oddfellows will now be run by the BW folks. In talking with a few people, I expect it to be completely different, although I did try and pitch a few of my Oddfellow favorites (apple bourbon wings among them) but who knows to what success (10 beers deep at the round house usually has a lot of great ideas that are seldomly followed through on).

Mossbacks/Fishbowl was sold "in house" so to speak so it won't be changing and will be managed by effectively the same people.

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:56 pm

Since I have never had the pleasure of eating at Odd Fellows, I can't be as disappointed as you and Mills, WCM. I am REALLY happy though that Mossbacks is staying the same! :D When we come to the Bay, its one of the few times each year I'm not on some crazy diet and I allow myself to eat and drink until my hearts content!! LOL I gain about 10 lbs in one weekend, but its always well worth it!!! LOL

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Oh yea coaching college baseball is really fun not complaining :D It just sucks that I don't have the option to head up until Memorial Day weekend every year :cry: Oh well it makes that 1st trip that much more enjoyable!!

I am glad to hear Mossbacks/Fishbowl are staying the same b/c I love both!!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:11 am

We have kind of taken over Bucknuts trip report, Sorry Bucknut.... LOL Question for everyone, how do you post a picture?? I have tried several times and can't seem to figure it out.

Melanie

Postby Melanie » Wed May 13, 2009 11:02 am

I used www.imageshack.us and resized it to avatar. When I got the link, I posted it here and had to shrink it even more. Maybe there's an easier way, but that's all I've found so far... I'm only a few days old on here.

JodellandJon

Postby JodellandJon » Wed May 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks Melanie! I will give it a try! :)

Return to “Trip Reports!”