Oct 4th-5th

Forum to share your experiences and good times from recent trips and gatherings at Put-in-Bay!

Moderator: admin1

Bryan

Oct 4th-5th

Postby Bryan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:12 am

What a fine weekend this turned out to be!

Jennifer opted to stay back in Indiana to catch up on things she had been puting off due to all the weekends spent over the last month and a half at the islands. So I flew to Middle Bass alone (I even called Mills to try to talk him into a free trip, but he had plans) and intended to finnish the gutter and downspout job leftover (due to not having enough parts) from last weekend. Wouldn't you know it, some how I was STILL short a section of downspout! Well I got it 95% done atleast! :lol: After the downspout ordeal, I'm so ready to get to the Bay! So I put the boat in the water and scoot over the unusually smooth Lake Erie surface at 45 mph. There is ample dock space but I rafted off of Chucks boat (Thanks Bud!!). After saying hi to Chuck and Katie I quickly found Don and Becky and surprised Don with a bunch of photos of the Thunderbird Formula boat plant that we took for him a week earlier (incase you dont know, Don owns a BEAUTIFUL 34 foot Formula boat). After hanging around the docks and watching Chuck and Katie's cat Tom roam around and board a few boats (mine included! :D ), we went to Tippers for supper. After supper we went to Frosty's and met a few friends of Becky's, (some creep kept hitting on one of them) after that is was the Round House and we ran into Becky's friends again, shortly after I notice Mr. Creep there! The friends went to the ferry a few minutes early to avoid the creep, good thing, because not long after the creep tries to pick a fight with some one and was quickly tossed out.
Don and Becky were'nt feeling well so they turned in early, some how I lost Chuck, so I went to the boat to see if he was there. Nope, no Chuck. Since I was right next to my boat and it was chilly, I turned the heater on full blast (more power argh argh!!) to warm up the cabin for later on. Then I get a call from Chuck, he's at the Rear-Barrel, after that we went to Mr Ed's then Cameos, then the Brewery. Maybe not in that order, but thats where I remember doing! :lol: Whatever time the Brewery closes was about the time we head back to the boats.
Remember the heater on full blast? Well talk about a sobering moment! In my drunken state I opened the door to the cabin and got hit with a blast of heat that mimmicked the coal boiler on an old steam locomotive! HOLY COW! I dove in and removed the screen to open the hatch and nearly got 2nd degree burns from the hot aluminum frame of the screen! :lol: With the hatch open and the heater (I guess I never considered the source of heat while slightly intoxicated!) still on full blast it seemed to regulate the interior temp pretty well, from the "face of the sun" down to "heat treating plant". :lol:
Regardless, I slept like a rock and got up somewhere around 9:30 am, Chuck, Katie and myself went to Frosty's to get breakfast. After that we said bye to Don and Becky, then we headed to Middle Bass. Katie rode with me (she helped me load my boat back on the trailer) and Chuck took the dingy. I gave them a little tour of Middle Bass, we said our good bye's and they took the dingy back to PIB.
I stayed at the house till about 7pm, then flew home. After the sun set, the flight home was absolutly tranquill, so smooth, so peacefull, and the ground was an "ocean of lights" with visibility over 25 miles. Cameras can never catch the beauty of the darkness on a night flight.

Well there is my trip report for what was one of the most enjoyable trips to the Bay!
-Bryan

islander

Postby islander » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:56 am

Bryan it sounds like we had to have crossed paths...I was at all of those places (cept the BB) including Frosty's in the A.M. :lol:
Not to mention there was no way you could have gotten into Cameo's without tripping over me on the porch! I was the girl in a red Goat sweatshirt with pizza all over her face....

islander

Postby islander » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:17 am

Bryan, I also forgot to mention I was on MB 9/27 for the breakfast/flag dedication/car parade/pig roast at the Town Hall thing... We were driving the blue Model A with the rumble seat. Was there the whole day, 9am till dark, were you there, if so did you come down to the Town Hall?
I love the color they painted the inside of the Town Hall by the way! :D

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:17 am

Nice trip report Bryan :lol: I felt like I was there between your and Chuck's texts and the trip report, AWESOME!!!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:08 am

Thanks Mills, really wish you could have been there!

Isle, isn't that crazy! I was in and out of Cameos 3 times that night. Did you see a certain picture I gave the owner that night? It was a pic of my plane with the baggage door open and two Cameos pizzas stacked up in there! Since they dont deliver to Indiana, I had to take some home! :lol: Anyways they had it tacked up on a cabinet in there.
Chuck had a black Goat shirt on that night, did you see him?

I was at the house on 9/27, I remember seeing all of the cars at the town hall when I drove by. I had a ton of work to do and I never left the house till I ran out of beer and had my 14 year old daughter drive me to Walleyes to get more. :lol:
Did you happen to drive past the house while you were on Middle Bass?

islander

Postby islander » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:54 am

You know Bryan I never made it inside the Cameo...had to sit down. I was willing to eat what ever my dear friend Party Joe was gonna come out with! We were there forever, in fact after they closed up and left we were still sitting on the porch making a mess. :lol:
I don't recall a black Goat Shirt...but that doesn't mean much. We were a big group all in red sweatshirts, some goat some OSU. We didn't plan to dress that way, but as we all met up it just turned out...kind of funny.

The islands are great...I got my first car when I was 12. Your 14 year old is going to love it. :wink:
I'm not sure if we made it out through Burganday Bay or not...I know we didn't during the parade, and when we went cruising again, well the fog set in, so to speak. You see across from the breakfast buffet was an open bar, huge bar, and they weren't serving beer! So things got rolling well before noon, if you know what I mean.
Really you should have stopped in, it was open to everyone and the Middle Bass folk sure know how to show people a good time.
There are few pictures of the event on my myspace page, I need to add some more, so check it in a day or two if you are interested.
If you guys are going to be around this weekend look for me in the tent or in the smoking lounge, even though I don't smoke. I hardly ever hang out in the building now that they added the lounge.

islander

Postby islander » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:59 am

You know Bryan I never made it inside the Cameo...had to sit down. I was willing to eat what ever my dear friend Party Joe was gonna come out with! We were there forever, in fact after they closed up and left we were still sitting on the porch making a mess. :lol:
I don't recall a black Goat Shirt...but that doesn't mean much. We were a big group all in red sweatshirts, some goat some OSU. We didn't plan to dress that way, but as we all met up it just turned out...kind of funny.

The islands are great...I got my first car when I was 12. Your 14 year old is going to love it. :wink:
I'm not sure if we made it out through Burganday Bay or not...I know we didn't during the parade, and when we went cruising again, well the fog set in, so to speak. You see across from the breakfast buffet was an open bar, huge bar, and they weren't serving beer! So things got rolling well before noon, if you know what I mean.
Really you should have stopped in, it was open to everyone and the Middle Bass folk sure know how to show people a good time.
There are few pictures of the event on my myspace page, I need to add some more, so check it in a day or two if you are interested.
If you guys are going to be around this weekend look for me in the tent or in the smoking lounge, even though I don't smoke. I hardly ever hang out in the building now that they added the lounge.

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:22 pm

HAHAHA!! Gotta love Cameos front porch! :lol:

I wish I would have stopped by the Town Hall now! I wasn't quite sure what was going on when I drove by, being the "new person", I'm kinda shy about dropping in on something that I wasn't invited to.
Funny story...that evening the kids were constantly under our feet while we were trying to work, I told them that there was a "lost" tunnel from the old Lonz boat house to the mansion. We didn't see the kids for about 3 or 4 hours! :lol: If I would have made up a story about the "lost treasure" they would have been gone for a week trying to find it! :lol:

islander

Postby islander » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:39 am

Treasure hunting on the islands, one of my most favorite past times...picked up a few this summer digging around.
So had you heard about the tunnel, saw what looked like one, or just were winging it? Cause there is something said about a tunnel.

Things are looking great for the weekend...should be awesome and very busy. I might not make it in to the tent until Sunday if it is too busy. Heck last weekend was so busy that the line to get into the tent was out to the road and curved around the side walk.
Oct. Fest is by far my favorite fall party, and one of the best events the island puts on. So if you are looking for a reason to get your boat out and would like to hob knob with some island folks, make a trip over on Sunday. Normally on Sunday the tent is full of island people caught up in celebration, friendship, and pigging out....life is good.

islander

Postby islander » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:45 am

Treasure hunting on the islands, one of my most favorite past times...picked up a few this summer digging around.
So had you heard about the tunnel, saw what looked like one, or just were winging it? Cause there is something said about a tunnel.

Things are looking great for the weekend...should be awesome and very busy. I might not make it in to the tent until Sunday if it is too busy. Heck last weekend was so busy that the line to get into the tent was out to the road and curved around the side walk.
Oct. Fest is by far my favorite fall party, and one of the best events the island puts on. So if you are looking for a reason to get your boat out and would like to hob knob with some island folks, make a trip over on Sunday. Normally on Sunday the tent is full of island people caught up in celebration, friendship, and pigging out....life is good.

islander

Postby islander » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:52 am

sorry I keep double posting...but every time I post it tells me the server went down. So I repost and then two show up...I don't know. It is only this site that I have problems with it though, nuf to drive me nuts for years now. There will be times I have no issues, then there I times that I only have issues trying to post. Who knows!

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:09 am

Just trust when you hit the button to post it will show up even if it says otherwise. I have done the same thing and finally figured it out :D
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:15 am

[banned] wrote:Treasure hunting on the islands, one of my most favorite past times...picked up a few this summer digging around.

The tunnel wasn't my idea, Gloria Wolf told me about a story she had heard about it years ago.
If there is any more "local legend" stories for any of the Bass Islands...I'm all ears!

Oh yes...Sunday I'll definatly be there! Probably get there around supper time. Look for my boat on A dock, it's named the "Thirsty Turtle", if I'm not there I'll be at the Round House or Cameos! :lol: If I see ya I'll buy you and your husband a beer!

islander

Postby islander » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:13 am

Bryan there are so many stories when it comes to the islands, you'll enjoy all the "discovery" that comes with living on the rocks. A good book to get is Isolated Splendor, by Robert Dodge. It is out of print but you can still pick it up on line and on ebay.

Well the islands are in winter mode, last weekend we were sitting out back at the winery with several bottles followed by a band at Ed's, ending the night with Cameo before falling in to bed, to a hand full of people playing wii in the wrinkle room over this last one, and then falling in to bed with an empty stomach!
Yesterday I was really praying for the wind to blow just a little harder...I so wanted to get stuck. But the waves only got up to about 8ft, they need 10ft to think about stopping.
Saw the MB boat had to come up the east side...that is a long ride!

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to find a copy.

When we left MBI yesterday on the 1:15 we had to take the east route, our van got a nice car wash with Lake Erie water! :lol: Some of those wave s p l a s h e s looked like scenes from the TV show "Deadliest Catch"!!

Return to “Trip Reports!”