New transportation to the island

A place for boaters to discuss their trips and experiences boating, and docking at Put-in-Bay

Moderator: admin1

Bryan

New transportation to the island

Postby Bryan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Just brought it home, I wasn't in the market for a boat just yet...but the price was so good I'd be a fool to pass it up. I bought it from a friend's dad so I know it had a good home.
It's a 1996 Rinker 21 foot cuddy cabin (this thing looks like a life raft compared to Mr. Kays boat! :lol: ) powered by a little 4.3 V6 Merc. I know it wont be as comfy as some of the big boats, but it will be good for an occasional overnight.
I got to say she's in darn good condition, no tears, leaks, maint issues, ect, hopefuly it'll be trouble free for a long time!
The vintage 1996 cassette player has to go...maybe I can donate that to a museum? :?

Sorry for the crappy picture, it was taken with a cell phone...

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 am

Nice boat Bryan!! It is sure a heck of a lot nicer than my boat ........ er lack there of a boat LOL!!! That will be perfect to fly in and stay on the boat instead of camping it will be easier and you will be right in the action on the docks :lol:
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Nice job!
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:44 pm

Very nice boat, you can go to all the local islands now and to cedar point. You can even take it into the mainland to go shopping for a little cheaper.
Congrats!!!!!

Oh, and you don't want anything bigger with gas prices, I have spent over $3000 so far this year on gas. But I love boating so it's worth it, and some of that money my friends chipped in for.

Hope to see you at the docks!!!!

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words!
Ya'll are gonna stop by for some drinks at X-mas right???

Gas prices...uhg. Takes away everyone's fun. You should have seen my June gas bill for the airplane after flying up every weekend! :shock: Anyone want to buy a slightly abused liver or a good kidney? :lol:

When the MBI house is done we are going to leave the boat up there, looking forward to hanging out at least once at school house bay, I S L A N D E R has mentioned that place a few times.

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:35 am

Count me in for a drink for sure Bryan, Katie and I will be there Friday morning ready to party :wink: When are you heading up?
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

islander

Postby islander » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:46 am

Nice boat Bryan, perfect for your needs. After all with a house on the island you won't need anything bigger, not only due to the cost of gas, but dockage as well. All though there are plenty of free places to dock around our end of the lake, you know if you want to take in dinner and a boat ride, West Bay on KI, Boardwalk, Crabby Joe's and Gym Beach, both in West Harbor, you can go to all those places in your boat for dinner and they let you tie up. :D
And to top it off you can hit all the swimming holes, East Beach off NB, the barge off NB, off Stoney Beach, School House off MB and the Marsh off MB (my favorite place due to less traffic/wake and beautiful scenery, the shoreline is nothing but trees where school house you look at the rip rap, which is okay just not nearly as pretty), the Sand Bar, East Harbor, and Gym Beach...they have a beach bar.
The big question is, where will you dock once you bring the boat to MB? Or do you plan to trailer? Does Burgandy Bay have a ramp? I know once Lonz's marina reopens they'll have docks for MBIYC and folks who live there. But that is if the project doesn't get shut down because of the water snakes. They have to hand remove every snake, has to be hundreds, and only a total of 20 snakes are allowed to be killed, they kill 21 the project is shut down. As of a week ago they had already accidently killed six. Our tax dollars are going to hand removing a snake that is in my opinion beginning to over populate (counted 17 in one hour last week :? ) I just wish the ODNR would take as much care with those who live there, after all it is the people who are paying the bills on this project, not the snakes. And don't even get me started on the condition they are letting the winery and mansion fall into, deplorable. Yet they'll spend almost 200,000. to hand remove all the snakes and make them comfortable, but can't find a dime to put into fixing up the two very historical buildings, the buildings that people would pay to come visit and tour. I just don't see a whole lot of people lining up to pay dockage so they can take in the view of the snakes swimming from side of the marina to the next. I'm rambling, and need to let this go, my blood pressure is boiling.

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:04 am

Mills, not sure yet if I'll be there Thursday or Friday. One way or another I'll let you know.

I S L A N D E R, thanks! Burgundy Bay has it's own marina with a ramp that is only about a 5 minute walk from our house. So we'll put it in/take it out when we use the boat.
Are the snakes a nuisance at the swimming spots or do they stay closer to the s h o r e line?

islander

Postby islander » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:46 am

Well Bryan if you are going to swim around the islands get use to seeing them, and don't freak when you are in the water and find yourself eye to eye with one....its gonna happen, probably a lot more than once. However island rule of thumb, they are more afraid of you then you are of them, and they don't bite if don't try to pick them up.
The snakes aren't a bad thing, they are actually very good for the lake...just like the mayflies. Its that there are so many.
Oh and by the way snakes can get into the walls, and so can coons, you'll have to make sure your house is sealed tight, cause they'll get in and do serious damage. There are lots of coons on MB.
When you live on the islands get use to critters and super giant spiders, they'll both be moving in too.
I know Burganday Bay has a marina, which I do know if you are going to dock your boat there you have to buy a dock and bring it in yourself. However I couldn't remember if they had a ramp or not. I only go back there on my snowmobile or four wheeler, but never by the marina. We always come up at the end of Fox Rd, and will turn into Burgandy Bay to cut through to go down Hahn's ramp when heading over to the big island. You'll hear the hum of a lot of four wheelers coming up and going down by Hahn's in the winter, its kind of a high traffic area when the lake is hard. :wink:

Mills

Postby Mills » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:22 am

I-slander, So why do they have to remove the snakes for the dock project? B/c they are damgerous to the workers or they are afraid the snakes will get hurt?

I understand they are a protected animal and are prohibited from killing them for no reason. Just wondering?

Bryan, Sounds good just let me know we are getting close now 8)
Mills, from Cincinnati

islander

Postby islander » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:33 am

Mills they are on the endangered species list. But to me it is clear they have made their come back.
I have nothing against the snakes, they don't bother me at all. My issue is the fact of how much it is costing us to remove these snakes. Myself and most of the folks who live on the islands find it a huge waste of money. We all feel the money could have been better off used else where, like fixing up the winery before it falls down. And besides snakes are so shy and every thing scares them, so wouldn't most of them get out of dodge with all the big equipment running around making all kinds of loud noise day after day. I know they move out of my way mighty fast when I come across them. I just think with all the action going on with the marina project they would move somewhere else.

Oh and should the Island Snake Lady read this, I have nothing against you and I really admire what you do. I'm not trying to offend you by any means and my opinion has nothing to do with you and your good work.

Mills

Postby Mills » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:53 am

Oh I have nothing against them either and understand them on the protected list which is good, it just seems crazy to hold up a project b/c of them is all??? And I have seen several on A dock swimming around :?
Mills, from Cincinnati

islander

Postby islander » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:44 pm

I agree, it would be so silly to hold up a project just because of them. I could understand if they weren't so thick, but they are every where, almost to the point of out of control.

Mills

Postby Mills » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:09 pm

How big are some of them?
Mills, from Cincinnati

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 pm

I seen one that got ran over in front of the Bay S H O R E resort, it was HUGE!!! I swear it had to been the size of a tennis ball before it got squished. To top it of it (she) was pregnant and at least 50 babies got smashed too!

Return to “Boating”