City Docks

A place for boaters to discuss their trips and experiences boating, and docking at Put-in-Bay

Moderator: admin1

WCM

Postby WCM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:26 pm

Also, I used to jump off the rocks there, to the right of the park by that boat, until I think the property owners had enough of us :(

But I did eventually find that you can jump off the rocks off Green...just anchor your boat, jump in, and climb up!

WCM

Postby WCM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:31 pm

Another question - does the Winter Bar still open?

I haven't been up during the winter in awhile, but I have spent, at some point or another, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years on the Island. The Island is a good time no matter when you're there!

islander

Postby islander » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:10 pm

Mills, I too want to move back to the island year round. I was born and raised on the islands, (I've lived on North Bass, Middle Bass and Put-in-Bay) and spent the first 28 years of my life there. But at least my family still lives there so I can go home any time.
As for the amount of people at the bars on a Fri or Sat, it depends. Each bar has its own crowd. Tippers brings in a bit of an older group, and this is where the upper islanders will hang now that the lake is froze. The Brewery is where a bit of the younger crowd hangs. Tony's doesn't really change much from summer to winter...always the same. And the Skyway is the "fancy" place to eat in the winter and a small group of middle age regulars hang at the bar there. The Skyway is also where people who come from the mainland across the ice often go.
There are times I've found myself to be the only person at the bar on a Fri or Sat. Then other times there could be 30-40 people hanging out. If the lake is hard and there are a lot of ice fishermen up then there could be more.
Do you guys see Don in the winter? How is he? I never ran into him at all last summer. They don't get any nicer than Don. He makes me smile. :)

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:54 pm

I would so love to hang out at the Brewery or Skyway on a Friday night in the winter!!! Sounds like Cheers where everybody knows everybody and can get away with things you can't at a strange bar :)

I have not seen Don this Winter. Paul went with him to the Dock trash party a few weeks ago. He is always on the go now that he is retired. He went to Windsor Canada a week ago, he e-mailed me and sounds like he is having a blast! You should stop by and see him this summer he always docks in about the same spot on the first finger on A dock.

Plus we should meet up this summer!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

pbosak

Postby pbosak » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:22 pm

How do you know Don I-s-l-a-n-d-e-r ? We have been friends for years and I often stay on his boat. Mills is correct, he is a summer resident. I just saw him a few weeks ago at the docktrash party and I will be seeing him next weekend in Michigan. It's his birthday and another friend's birthday. I will tell him you said hello. Will he recognize your baychat name? He is good friends with Kevin and Kim who live on the i-sland. Not sure if you know who they are?? I also met another great guy who lives on PIB. I just know him as "Duff" (I remember from the Simpsons Beer) I met him last Halloween. He was very nice and hospitable.

pbosak

Postby pbosak » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:24 pm

How do you know Don I-s-l-a-n-d-e-r ? We have been friends for years and I often stay on his boat. Mills is correct, he is a summer resident. I just saw him a few weeks ago at the docktrash party and I will be seeing him next weekend in Michigan. It's his birthday and another friend's birthday. I will tell him you said hello. Will he recognize your baychat name? He is good friends with Kevin and Kim who live on the i-sland. Not sure if you know who they are?? I also met another great guy who lives on PIB. I just know him as "Duff" (I remember from the Simpsons Beer) I met him last Halloween. He was very nice and hospitable.

WCM

Postby WCM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:31 pm

you can never forget a name like duff spatafore!

islander

Postby islander » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:21 pm

You just might be surprised at what you can get away with in the winter time on PIB :twisted: ....and what you can't. Everybody knows, if you know what I mean.
Oh, I met Don many years ago when I was working as a dock master on B. We have been friendly ever since. I also know Kevin and Kim as well, my husband was an usher in their wedding. After Kevin bought the house on the island we bought his boat. Often you can find us parked out on his front deck with a glass of wine and one beautiful sunset. Do you guys know Ron, friends of both the Rookstools and Don? He use to go to A dock all the time, but not as much now. We dock close to each other.
I just might know you guys...but your photos don't look very familiar. But I also don't hang much downtown on weekends, I head to North Bass and hang out on the party barge...the party barge is where many island folks go with their boats. I'm not big on crowds, dealt with it my whole life.
And yes I've known Duff since he first moved to the island...almost a million years ago it seems. We're buddies.
Was JJ at the Docktrash party?
Tell Don Robin and Matt say hi.

WCM what ever happened to that post you said was waiting to clear?

WCM

Postby WCM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:05 pm

its on the previous page...

islander

Postby islander » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:14 am

WCM, the Winter Bar hasn't been open in years, and I'm not sure we will see it open again as long as there are "so many" other places that stay open now through the winter months.
I loved the Winter Bar...it was my all time favorite winter bar on the island! I sure have a lot of great memories I made and lost there. :wink:
If you were hanging at the Winter Bar, WCM, then we probably have bumped into each other...but really your photo too doesn't look that familiar...although you could almost pass for Brad Myers in that picture. Do you know Bradley?
By the way what has been going on with Middle is a prime example of what I meant with the trying to fit the circle peg into the square whole thing!

WCM

Postby WCM » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:07 am

I've only been to the Winter bar twice, but I loved it too. People seem to be enjoying themselves even more than usual, away from the hecticness of the summer.

Yes, I know Brad, although that's the first I've been told I look like him :)

Actually a lot of people (not native to the Island) often thought I was related to Nick Faris (who is around your age?) b/c we, apparently, look alike. I even benefited from this for a few years before I was of a certain age :wink:

I think we may have met, or crossed paths, at some point...there aren't too many people who have lived on all 3 islands!

Mills

Postby Mills » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:19 am

Isle,

I will shorten your screen name so it shows in my posts :) I e-mailed Don today and told him you know him although I am not sure he will know who you are since my details were sketchy? What is your name if you don't mind me asking?

I have met Kim and Kevin 1 or 2 times, but they probably would not know me. Ron I am not sure of? If I saw him most likely. Don has sooo many people on his boat all the time it is hard to keep track :lol:
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

islander

Postby islander » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:08 am

I think I like Isle better anyways...wish I would have thought of it.
Our last name is Cadez, I'm from the islands, my husband is from Sandusky and his brother use to own the parasail business....that should hit the ole nail right on the head for him. I don't know Don real well, my husband knows him better as he use to be an A-dock regular before he moved to the island to work. However, Don and I hug and visit every time we see each other.
Well you know Don is the life of the party...he is always full of good cheer and high energy and that does tend to attract a lot of people. As you can tell I just really think him a nice guy.

Mills

Postby Mills » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:21 am

Oh yea you can say Don is full of energy LOL :lol: I would have loved to known him in his 20's I bet he was off the chain CRAZY :shock: :D

I will pass on the info when he replies to me and see what he says. I am sure he will know right away!

Make sure if you see me this summer you say hello!! Maybe we can meet for a drink or 2 also!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

islander

Postby islander » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:42 am

I'm not sure I could keep up with Don all day now...and I'm in my mid 30's.
Mills do you look just like your pic? I'll keep an eye out for you and introduce myself if I see you around the rock. However most often you won't find me around the bars much until Sunday. Unless of course it is spring and fall.

Return to “Boating”