City Docks

A place for boaters to discuss their trips and experiences boating, and docking at Put-in-Bay

Moderator: admin1

WCM

Postby WCM » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:37 pm

I didn't know there were differences in costs between the public docks...why is that?

kindy52

Postby kindy52 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:47 pm

Strong Bad Rules, Captain Matt!
Hide the Rum!

islander

Postby islander » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Most people don't know that A and C dock are owned by the village, and the money made from those two docks goes to the up keep of things like the bathhouse, townhall, water department, roads, PD and such.
B-Dock is owned by the park, and it was the first of the three public docks. In 1866 the land where the park is, (from mid bathhouse all way to the end of park by the Fish Bowl is owned by DeRivera Park, from mid bath house to the side towards the Boat House is owned by the village...long story there) was given in trust by Jose DeRivera to the people of Put-in-Bay. B-dock was built to help maintain the high cost of the park, so any money made there goes towards bills and costs, any left over money is kept in the trust for the lean times of the year. The park does not receive any tax money and it does not get any money from any of the island business's.
The prices first went their different ways back in 95...B-dock is the most popular dock so they could afford to raise their prices. A and C dock are much, much harder to fill up so they keep their prices different.
However I think they should keep the prices the same on all three of the public docks...because if you don't know the whole story it all just comes off looking a bit disorganized.
Hope I was able to answer your question...

WCM

Postby WCM » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:19 am

isl ander - thanks for the info. you're right, I had thought the entire park was under control of the village, which included all 3 docks. I knew DeRivera donated the park to the local gov't with some other land to be used for school and church...guess I thought it included all of it. interesting that they kept a park trustee group rather than just letting the village run it all.

islander

Postby islander » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:58 am

When DeRivera left the park land in trust, there was no village of PIB, the village wasn't even created till much later. At the time the trust was given the islanders (of all the islands located in the Twp) were creating the first government, and it was PIB Twp. (kind of interesting, when PIB Twp. was first formed in the mid 1860's there were seven elected postions...four of those were filled by North Bass residents, one from Middle Bass, and two from Putin-Bay. So in the early years, the Twp. was controlled more from North Bass than from Put-in-Bay.)
Anyways, DeRivera left the park in care of three trustee's and they are elected for life. He also left guide lines on how the land was to be used. They still pretty much keep right to his wishes. Except they didn't put up the fence around the park that DeRivera instructed them to do and they added the bathhouse as well as purchased Cooper's Woods to keep as a green space.
The part of the park belonging to the village wasn't added to the "park" until much, much later. For many years that side of the park was owned by private citizens. And different business's were located there over time.
It is all very confusing and it is a very tangled web we weave upon the islands...goes for families too. Lord knows my family tree is a jumble of branches that spread out across the lake and islands.
Hope I didn't put you to sleep with all my blah, blah, blah!

WCM

Postby WCM » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:49 pm

not at all - I enjoy learning these things about the island(s) and do my best to stay on top of island politics - I even attended some of the township meetings this summer! But as you said it can get pretty convoluted, particularly if you aren't directly involved. I've really enjoyed the past few Gazettes where they have done a profile of someone each month.

But I don't even attempt to follow family trees...

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:53 pm

AWESOME info [banned]!! Feel free to enlighten us anytime, I love history especially about PIB!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

islander

Postby islander » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:38 pm

WCM, I hope this doesn't offend you, but I have to tell you I'm impressed that you attended a few of the twp. meetings. I think it is great. To many folks who have places on the island don't come to the meetings yet feel free to complain about the way the twp handles things. However most people don't take into consideration that the islands have to follow the same government rules and guide lines as those set for the mainland. It is always a struggle for the twp. trustees to fit the circle peg of PIB Twp. into the square peg hole that the rest of mainland America can slide right into. As I'm sure you know, when it comes to the Government there is always a lot of red tape, well the island community is small and it doesn't take much red tape to clog up the process. But it isn't just the Lake Erie Islands that have these kind of problems, if you look most island communities suffer from similar types of issues.
Were you attending the meetings because you were looking for an answer to a question you might have or just cause you were curious? I know it is really none of my business but if there is something you were wondering about I might be able to help....my father is a PIB Twp. Turstee, in fact he has held a trustee position longer than any other trustee in the history of the twp....36 years straight.
And any time you all have any questions...just ask. I too love the history of all of the Lake Erie Islands and I love to share it.

WCM

Postby WCM » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:34 pm

not offended at all. I understand your position. The Island has an interesting dynamic to it with such a large number of part time residents mixed into the community who have a vested interest since they are property owners, but ultimately it is not their primary residence and only seem to be interested some of the time. And I know the red tape exists everywhere - I follow my home town politics closely as well. Some things just seemed destined to drag on forever...lol. And I definately find a contingent of people to be pretty obnoxious, so I can imagine your frustration at times.

The reason I first went to a meeting (one of the committee meetings) was to see how an issue (application for a variance) on middle bass was going to play out. I really got into what happened, so I went to as many other meetings, out of curiosity, as I could during my time off (I was in between jobs this July - probably the best time of year to have nothing to do :lol: ). Unfortunately, work will probably prevent me to going to many more anytime soon...I think someone needs to look into an Island government channel!

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:19 pm

[banned], I am curious to what goes on durning the winter months? Where do people gather? Any rituals and traditions the full time residents do in the winter?
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

islander

Postby islander » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:04 am

Well the winter time is a very social time for island folks. There are volley ball leagues, dart leagues, card parties, highschool basket ball games, pot lucks. Tippers, Skyway, Brewery, Tony's, store, post office and gas station all stay open.
But what really makes or brakes a winter is if we have ice. We all pray for ice. If the lake freezes than you know the fun is on. Ice fishing dictates the day, then there are ice parties, island hopping get togethers, and lot's of inter island socializing. We visit with all the islands...including both Pelee and Kelleys. And if it is cold enough the lake will freeze enough to travel to the mainland across the ice. And if that happens it is like a highway out there between the islanders and local mainlanders day tripping both directions. We go on adventures...one winter a group of about 40 of us, from PIB, MBI, and NBI, all went for a snowmobile cruise across the lake. We stopped on almost all the islands, PIB, MBI, NBI, Gib, Green, Sugar, Rattlesnake, East Sister, Middle Sister, West Sister, North Harbor Island, Hen Island, Pelee Island (but everyone from Pelee had gone to the Bay for the afternoon) Middle Island and last Kelleys. We put over 80 miles on our machines that day.
If you would like to see some pictures of some ice parties you can go to middlebass.org click on photos scroll down and you will find luau ice party photos in the 2004 section and then ice party pictures off of North Bass in the 2003 section.

pbosak

Postby pbosak » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:16 pm

Very interesting I-s-l-a-n-d-e-r. I didn't know so much went on during the winter.

I saw on the vacation channel a few weeks ago that ship that sticks out over the water. Very interesting. I guess it was brought over to be a bed and breakfast, but zoning problems made that impossible. Sounds like someone didn't want them cutting into the lodging business on the i-sland. Makes a great vacation home for somebody though.

islander

Postby islander » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:40 pm

The reason they couldn't put a bed and breakfast place there boils down to zoning laws. And yes it is an awesome vacation home for a family from Sandusky.
It use to be owned by Henry Ford.
Back in the day I dated a guy who was the care taker of it, and we would have a lot of after hour parties there. On really hot, hot, nights we would take blankets all the way up on the roof and sleep.
pbosak, in your photo is that Dancing Don (always on A-dock) with you?

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:47 pm

I-s-l-a-n-d-e-r,

You make me want to move to the island year round!! So on an average Friday night how many people frequesnt th bars in the winter?

I watched the Vacation channel with pbosak and we both were in amazement how cool that ship is! Sleeping outside in the summer sounds awesome!!

And that is indeed Don in the picture with Paul. He is basically an island resident in the summer LOL!! 8)
Mills, from Cincinnati

WCM

Postby WCM » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:18 pm

I got to take a tour of that boat one time...it was pretty outdated inside, but cool none the less - and its definately got one of the better views on the Island!!!

Return to “Boating”