Boating questions

A place for boaters to discuss their trips and experiences boating, and docking at Put-in-Bay

Moderator: admin1

indianajones

Boating questions

Postby indianajones » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:58 am

I have been thinking of bringing my boat up to PIB for Labor Day weekend and have a few questions. First, I've never had it out out Lake Erie and wondering how safe it would be to do so with weather conditions. I have only been to the island once a few years ago and stayed at a hotel. I have a 23' Norandec cuddy cabin which I hope to stay on while I am there. Here is a list of questions:

Where is the best place to dock on island? When will it fill up? How does rafting work?

How busy is it on Labor Day?

What can I expect sleeping on board for the weekend and what facilities are available?

How can I check the weather for the weekend?

Where should I launch my boat from?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

Bryan

Re: Boating questions

Postby Bryan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 pm

I have no idea how many times I have boated to the island, but I'm a little biased and always head to A Dock...thats where Chuck and Don hang out! :lol:
Rafting is when you tie off another boat that is tied to the dock. They will raft up to 4 boats. Its fun and so far never had a bad time! Make sure you have at least two fenders, two dock lines and a bow line. I'm sure someone will mention if I left something out.
One nice thing about having a shorter boat (I have a 21 foot cuddy) is you are normally the last boat to be rafted, ie longest boat tied to the dock and the rest will be the same size or progressivly shorter. So, being the farthest out you dont have people climbing over the your boat to get to theirs.

Expect it to be pretty busy like most 3 day weekends.

Aint nothing like sleeping on a boat! The docks are loud with music and alchohol enhanced people. The bath house in the park is just a short walk from the docks.

I dont know where others check the weather at, but I use www.aviationweather.gov for all my weather needs. I'm a pilot and been using it for years and I guess I'm just used to that site.

Before I started to keep our boat at Middle Bass Isl, I used to launch it at the public docks at Catawba, they also have free parking for your truck and trailer.

If this isn't you cup of tea, you can try to dock at the Miller Marina on the other side of the Boardwalk, it's a little more conservative over there, but be warned...it fills up fast since they do not raft the boats there.
Another option is the marina at Middle Bass Island. No rafting, plenty of room and each boat will have a private slip for the same price as the docks at the Bay. You can always ride the Sonny S to the bay to get your fix and return to the peace and quiet at Middle Bass to sleep!

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Oh...forgot to mention, avoid C Dock, it is the least protected and if the lake kicks up your boat could get damaged. The outer wall of A Dock (that faces Middle Bass) can get ugly too.

indianajones

Postby indianajones » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks for the info Bryan. If anyone else has any helpful info please let me know.

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:05 am

A dock definitely!!

You can check weather at www.weather.com and type in PIB zip code 43456

You should have no problem getting a dock space as long as you go Friday night or Saturday morning.

Bath house takes tokens you can purchase inside the bathouse I believe an 8 min shower is like $4...
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

chucksberg

Postby chucksberg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:56 pm

Where is the best place to dock on island? A Dock, unless your a dick, then go to B....Ha Ha Ha

When will it fill up? I bet labor day weekend does not sell out, but the earlier you get there the better the spot you will have.

How does rafting work? bring lots of lines and a few fenders, you need them to raft. Call the A dock dockmaster on channel 9, they will help you from there.

How busy is it on Labor Day? Busy, but probably will not sell out.

What can I expect sleeping on board for the weekend and what facilities are available? Good bathrooms and showers, tokens are 2 for 5 dollars for 8 minute showers. Some banned power available

How can I check the weather for the weekend? marine weather... http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LE/146.html

Where should I launch my boat from? Catawba State Park,4049 E Moore’s Dock Rd
Port Clinton, Ohio, free parking, safe, can leave your car and trailer as long as you want. You fill out a form so they can reach you if there is an emergency.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated! When leaving Catawba head out to the green buoy before heading north to the island, this will keep you out of shallow water. It's almost due North from there. South Bass Island (pib) should be on your Starboard side. Continue around the island until you reach the Red buoy, this again will keep you out of shallow water, do not cut in before, and do not cut between SBI and Gibraltar Island, it's very shallow there. A Dock is the closest public dock to the boardwalk. The are lettered A,B,&C from right to left. Call them on channel 9 and crack open a beer.

No drinking on the dock, you need to stay on your boat, a lot of people do, but the police can write you a ticket, the dockmasters don't care where you drink, just the cops.

We will be there that weekend also, and leaving the car and trailer at Catawba State Park. Stop by and introduce yourself and win a free Margarita! Just ask any of the Dockmasters where Chuck is.

Take care.....

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:01 pm

chucksberg wrote: Stop by and introduce yourself and win a free Margarita! Just ask any of the Dockmasters where Chuck is.

Free Margaritas!!
I have to stop by and introduce myself to this Chuck guy! :lol:

Chuck, when are you and Katie gonna come up to Middle Bass and see us? :D

chucksberg

Postby chucksberg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:17 pm

Brian,

You and Mills are always welcome, don't even have to ask....I still owe Don a bottle of Peach schnapps.....don't even ask....he doesn't know it though....hope he is there this weekend, sure he will be, can't miss White Spider!!!
Funny story, a guy came up to me one morning last year and said there were some people on your boat after you left and were drinking and playing the stereo and going down into your cabin....A week or two later I download pictures off my camera and it was Don, Becky, Brittany, J..., J.. ect...they used my camera to document the event.

I need to check out the new floors in the crib.The pics I saw looked nice.

Haven't got any 6 am sunrise pics from the plane recently.......

Hopefully see you and Jen this weekend.

Take care.

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:33 am

HAHAHA!! Since Jennifer and the kids came back to Indiana when scool started, I'm not up there heading home at 6am anymore! :lol:

I probably wont make it to PIB this weekend, I have a friend helping me hang kitchen cabinets. I cant wait till next year...I might be able to enjoy myself up there instead of working every weekend! :D

Bryan

Postby Bryan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:35 am

School...not scool! :lol: I wish this forum had an edit button! :lol:

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:30 am

Chuck,

That is awesome Don, Bec, and Brittany documented the hostile takeover of your boat LOL!! :D

Katie and I wish we could make it this weekend, but she has a bachelorette party Saturday night and we are throwing our annual fireworks party Sunday. Should be fun, but have to admit would rather be with you and Bryan in MBI and PIB!!!

chucksberg wrote:Brian,

You and Mills are always welcome, don't even have to ask....I still owe Don a bottle of Peach schnapps.....don't even ask....he doesn't know it though....hope he is there this weekend, sure he will be, can't miss White Spider!!!
Funny story, a guy came up to me one morning last year and said there were some people on your boat after you left and were drinking and playing the stereo and going down into your cabin....A week or two later I download pictures off my camera and it was Don, Becky, Brittany, J..., J.. ect...they used my camera to document the event.

I need to check out the new floors in the crib.The pics I saw looked nice.

Haven't got any 6 am sunrise pics from the plane recently.......

Hopefully see you and Jen this weekend.

Take care.
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

indianajones

Postby indianajones » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks for all of the info on how to get there. I'm watching the weather and hope it stays nice for the entire weekend. Sunday looks like it could rain. I don't have a radio on my boat to call dockmaster...what should I do?

chucksberg

Postby chucksberg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Just pull up in the area and look for a guy wearing an Orange shirt. There may only be a couple of dockmasters this weekend. A and C docks are owned by the village, B dock is owned by the DeRivera Park Trust. The B dock guys weat grey shirts.

If you spend any time on Erie you should at least pick up a hand held radio just in case you run into trouble. Cell phone help is at least 30 minutes away, a radio can contact the people near you.

indianajones

Postby indianajones » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks for the info Chuck. I made it up there Saturday and the weather was beautiful. I asked the dockmaster for Chuck...he said Chuck who? I want my margarita! I had several on my boat while I was there. I'm thinking of going up again soon. What weekend do you recommend?

chucksberg

Postby chucksberg » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:47 pm

Chuck who? That's good. They are well trained. This weekend is new years eve. It's an ok time. Not really a big deal though. If you can stay thru Monday, divers do a cleanup of the docks and bring up all kinds of unusual things. The last real blowout is Halloween. October 23rd,24th. That is a fun time. I have been Howard Stern the last few years. Bryan and Jen make a great Amish couple! Mills makes a good prisoner and Katie makes a good German beer girl for obvious reason! Be careful comming over by boat that late in the season. Last year there was a long blow and most of the water was gone form catawba. It made it very difficult to trailer the boat. A frind of mine had to leave his boat tied to the dock for a day until the water rose. The ride back to the park was pretty bad too, three different times I had the nose of the boat buried and water came over the canvas and dumped in the back of the boat. Not a very comfortable ride, and that was at 7 knots. Take care and hope to see you up there.

Return to “Boating”