Thanks for the mention Mills. I will try extra hard this year to assure I get the number one spot next year. You're right though.....with all the drinking, dancing, and carrying on, the boat might as well be a bar. It's certainly a lot cheaper.
OK, here's my list of the top 5 bars:
1. Frosty's - Great place to hang out during the day. There's a ton of fun people present looking to talk. It's an easy place to meet new friends.
2. Boathouse - Great bar for dancing, especially when Jady Current is playing. It's big enough where you can move around although they need a bigger dance floor. BIG negative is the cover charge...even though they have a band.
3. Beer Barrel - I love it because they get some great bands (Menu's, Mustang Sally, Earthquakers, etc...) and you can actually move around. I always find the service good as well although the drinks are expensive...kind of one price for most types of drinks.
4. Mr. Ed's pool party at the Commodore - a fun and wild place to spend a sunny afternoon. BAR NONE, the best frozen drinks on the island. I forget what kind of drink it is (Bahama mama?), but they have a machine that makes them. Better get them when you can though because the machine is slow and once they run out, you'll just get a non frozen version of the drink. Drink with caution though because those drinks will get you feeling good in no time. They also have a dj playing the latest and greatest music and have activities like belly flop contests from time to time. Ask Mills about the time some lady split his head open in the pool during the belly flop contest. Since he shaves his head, he may even show you the scar.
5. [banned] Pool - Great place to have a blast during the day. The scenery is awesome but the service sucks. It's the perfect environment for a hot summer day at the bay. Would be better if they had a DJ like at Mr. Ed's though. Of course this is all contingent upon them letting you in the pool area. Doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason...some time the gate is locked and sometime it's open for all. If it's locked, they have a fit if you try to sneak in through the lobby. You'd think you were trying to rob the place. I think Mr. Ed taking all of the daytime business at the Commodore opened their eyes.
Because it's not a bar, I didn't list it in the top 5, but the absolute best place to party is A Dock. What a great group of boaters who LOVE to have fun and party. Especially when the boys from Cincinnati and Jagerman are in town. Just watch out for the famous "See ya later" punch. Half of the time, you'd mistake the dock for a dance party as the boats are always cranking out music and everyone is dancing. Just watch out for all the beads being thrown around. ha ha.