June 15-18

Post the dates or your visit to Put-in-Bay and meet new friends!

Moderator: admin1

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:43 am

You both need to knock it off!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

kindy52

Postby kindy52 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:54 am

Sorry mills, i couldn't resist.

Give us a full report when you get back!
Hide the Rum!

funboy2121

xxx

Postby funboy2121 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:05 am

Hey Mills, will you be drinking or spooning? sorry :twisted:
NO FOOLS, NO FUN!

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:06 am

Instead of the bar, Mills is going to spend afternoons souvinier shopping!!!

HAve fun Mills!!!!!!

mobay

Postby mobay » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:13 am

Next think you know he will telling us how much fun it is to visit the historical society and staying sober on the island. Then I am going to need a new gimmick... :?
I miss the old Mr. Ed's. I still hate the Beer Barrel. I'm diggin' Hooligans. And Mills isn't the only hot guy up there now with a bald head!

kindy52

Postby kindy52 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:35 am

THE WHOLE SYSTEM IS BRAKING DOWN! :o :o :o :o
Hide the Rum!

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:39 am

OK, laugh it up boys :lol: I know it is kind of a shock for me to have a girlfriend, but Katie is fun and will probably drink you guys under the table LOL!! :P
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

funboy2121

xxx

Postby funboy2121 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:41 am

I'm sorry Mills, but I'm sitting here laughing my ass off at your expense!
NO FOOLS, NO FUN!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:46 am

Wow... taking the girlfriend to the bay... I never thought I would hear you say that... She must be something special... Maybe they will take the tour on that yellow tour bus!
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:06 am

The only thing semi-gay we will be doing is going in the monument since I actually have never been up there and have been to the Bay over 20x LOL!!! As for shopping and the tour train and the historical society there is NO WAY we are doing that!! She would actually laugh if I told her we were doing any of those things!
Mills, from Cincinnati

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:07 am

I'm just giving ya a hard time... from what I've heard, she seems cool... I've never done the momunment, and I've been up there like 60 times... Maybe one day! Maybe not! Hopefully the Mayflies won't get me up there!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:09 am

Hey Taz... I'll plan a trip up there with you some time... We can split a room and all... Let me know if that would work... it makes sense since we live so close!

mobay

Postby mobay » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:11 am

You'll enjoy the view from the top of the monument. The only time I was up there a heck-of-a thunderstorm rolled in as I was on the observation deck. That was fun.
I miss the old Mr. Ed's. I still hate the Beer Barrel. I'm diggin' Hooligans. And Mills isn't the only hot guy up there now with a bald head!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:12 am

That must've been great... Since I moved to my new apartment (across the hall) I can watch them roll in off the lake. It's pretty sweet!

islander

Postby islander » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:18 pm

Actually Mobay...the Lake Erie Islands Historical Society is really cool, one of the best things to do on the islands. If you have a true interest in the island then it is a must see. After all the islands were the center of the wine industry in the US from the 1850's till the temperance movement began...long before California took over. Every time you go out to Hieneman's Winery you drink yourself a good dose of history...they are one of the older wineries still in operation and have been owned by the same family for well over a hundred years...stop out and talk to Louie he is wealth of information and he just turned 80. Not to mention the largest wine celler in the world was once located on Middle Bass (the island just north of Put In Bay in case you don't know) Once stood where Lonz's is now. PIB also had the largest hotel in the world as well, over 800 rooms, 625 of those for guests, the dinning room alone could seat 2000 people at one time. It was named The Hotel Victory, which also had the first co-ed swimming pool in the country...the remains can still be seen out at the State Park. The islands also have been a vacation destination popular since the 1860's, and many US Presidents came to the islands to relax. One even owned Mouse Island, and you can still see the chimney and fire place to this day when riding the Miller. Not to mention all the other famous people to visit the Lake Erie Islands. Infact John Brown Jr. moved to the island after his father the famous abolitionist John Brown, of the Harper Ferry's fame was hung. He moved hoping to hide from those who killed his father and brother and wanted him dead too.
And did you know the first sports event ever in the world to be broadcast over a radio took place on the islands as well? Sure did...during Regatta around the turn of the Century. You can stop by the Jet and read all about it.
Then there are the ties to the Purple Gang...who chased Al Capone out of Detroit...Capone wouldn't even touch them. They did a lot of rum running through the islands and often gun fire could be heard in the middle of the night as the Fed's were chasing them through the island passages
Wow...we got it going on out here on the islands don't we. This is just the tip of the ice berg...I didn't even go into the War of 1812 and the fact that the third tallest National Monument in the country is located right on PIB, but I'll bring the history lesson to a close for today. There is more to do on the island than just turn your liver into swiss cheese, not that I don't ever get mighty thirsty, in fact I've taken it upon myself to drink the island dry...but its a hard thing to do and I'm still working on it.

Return to “Roll Calls”