Island attendance going down??

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

Bryan

Island attendance going down??

Postby Bryan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Has anyone noticed a decline in the island attendance? The bars seem full, but not completely slammed like I remember from previous years.
The docks dont seem to be jammed either, several boats dont even have others rafting out.
At the airport (during the rib burn off) last year, I had to park in the grass do to so many planes that came in, any other weekend you had to get in by 11am to get a spot on the ramp. This year I bet there wasn't more than a dozen planes there, and parking hasn't been a problem yet.

Blame it on the gas prices??

Mills

Postby Mills » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:28 am

I did notice the docks seemed a little slower than normal :( Hopefully it will pick up the rest of the summer!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

WCM

Postby WCM » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:42 am

I've noticed this too this year - particularly with the docks. Although it is June which is traditionally slower than July and August and the weather hasn't been great this month.

The other thing is there are a lot more businesses now than there were 10 years ago so even if you have the same # of people, it will seem less crowded.

However, there is something to be said for high fuel costs limiting people's travel plans or how much they will use their boats. Plus there is essentially a huge cover charge just to get on the Island - hotel rates are high, ferry tickets have gone up, etc. Then you get there and costs are inflated. In a poor economy, that's going to result in a downturn in business.

I'm surprised no one has attempted to lower prices in an effort to increase volume, especially during the week.

kindy52

Postby kindy52 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 am

I will say that, this was one of the better (funner) crowds I've seen in June in a long time. A couple of years ago, I vowed to never come back in May or June, but I'm glad a made the June trip this year!
Hide the Rum!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:31 am

I'm hoping it's a good crowd in July... Of course, I can't say either way if attendance is up or down since I was always behind the bar.
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

Taz

Postby Taz » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:52 pm

The crowds are definitely down! But the Bay still rocks!
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

Mother Trucker Dave

Postby Mother Trucker Dave » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:09 pm

Mother Trucker Acoustic will be at the Boathouse July 3-6, so you can at least expect an increase in late afternoon/early evening intoxication!!! :-)

Return to “General Topics”