A Dock or C Dock?

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

Finally Free

A Dock or C Dock?

Postby Finally Free » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:52 pm

I was just wondering if boaters here thought there is any differance from A dock to C dock, I've taken my boat to C dock and partied, but it seems that I can never get there early enough to find a spot on A dock. Any insight would be great.
Babes,Beer,Boats,Beautimous!!!

islander

Postby islander » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:48 am

Maybe I can give you some insight, I was a dock master on B for years, and I'm also from the islands. Here is public dock low down:
B dock is the most popular because it is the most protected, closest to the bath house and home to the majority of PIB boating regulars...tis where Dock Trash was born. Here you'll find people who don't consider themselves tourists, and aren't thought much as tourist as they are there just as often if not more than many people who own cottages on the island.
A dock is the second most popular and most protected. A dock has it's own set of regulars but a smaller group. They try best to be up around the finger area. However the old outside wall there isn't the best place to be if the wind kicks up, its spring so NE winds are very common.
C dock is the least popular of the docks, infact I wouldn't tie boat up there if it was the last place to dock. Not worth it. It is the least protected because of the blue part. This is the dock where boats sustain heavy damage, and often. In fact it is the only dock I've seen boats basically sink at. I've seen a lot of boats with holes punched in the side when the wind kicks up so hard and throwing boats up side ways onto the posts. No joke. Infact one night I was working and C dock asked me to help save boats getting beat to death. A brand new 39 ft. Sea Ray, first day out, got crunched so bad, but it was too big for us to hold off the dock. The owner came down saw the damage and had a heart attack right there and died if front of all of us.
So what it boils down to, the more popular the dock the earlier you have to get there. Things have changed a bit, and due to gas prices many folks just aren't coming as often, making it a little easier to get a spot. But regulars know the good docks and they are the first to go. When I worked on B dock, you would have to be there no later than Thursday before Mem. Day, to be second or third out. Fri by noon full. The fourth and X-mas we would be full the week prior. It's all about how early you can be there, and people who want to be in those spots do what they gotta do to get them. Last year B dock changed their rules and you could bring your boat up and leave it unattended a couple of days to get a good spot for the weekend. I don't know if they are planning on doing it this year or not but it might be something to look into. You can call DeRivera Park, the parks owns B if didn't know. A and C are owned by the village.
I hope this helped, and I hope you have a fun summer enjoying your boat. I know I'm counting down the days till I can put in! But have to do some work on the out drive and air conditioner before that happens.

Finally Free

Postby Finally Free » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks a million ilandr, this was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I have seen what you are talking about with c dock and the wind,last year I showed up and c dock was wide open and I wondered why until I tried to tie off... there was no way I was going to do that not even to my 27 foot rinker. Thanks again ilandr hope to meet ya sometime at the docks, and if you see me out there my boat name is Finally Free stop by and have a beer on me.

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:37 am

WOW, that is some great info about the history of the docks and which is better than the others :lol:
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

candita4

C dock

Postby candita4 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:08 pm

I have tied up at C dock for years and never had a problem. If, You go out where the walkway is solid just about at the turn. Anytime you dock where the water can run under the dock at PIB you will have a problem. I was on C dock many years ago when a 90 foot Burger was tied on the outside wall of C dock. It beat up so bad it took out the starbord salon window which was driven on top of the dock piling. C is a little farther walk out to get to a safe dock but it is well worth it. That boat had a captain. Wonder how he explained that one.

Candita IV

islander

Postby islander » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:15 pm

I remember that boat you are talking about. It was having problems with one of its engines, and with the NE wind it couldn't get enough power to get off the dock and BES had to come. You would be surprised at how many boats end up with a post through a window, or holes punched into the side. And how many times it happens when the boat is "borrowed"...and the owner has no idea the boat is even at the Bay. Then there was the guy who borrowed his dad's brand new boat, with out asking, while he was on a trip out of state, loaded up all his buddies for a secret weekend at the Bay. One of them brought along a bunch of drugs, invited an under cover down to party on board, got busted with coke and they confiscated the boat. Now that must have been hard to explain..."dad, you know that $40,000. you just spent on a new boat, well....
Then there was the time Shy Fox, from the Buddha's almost sunk at the dock with so many people on board to watch a banana eating contest taking place on the bridge. The back deck was almost under water, and that is a big Viking, 63ft. I think. And the time Kid Rock was on A-dock, and Bob Dillon was riding a bike through the park...so many stories.

islander

Postby islander » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:21 pm

I remember that boat you are talking about. It was having problems with one of its engines, and with the NE wind it couldn't get enough power to get off the dock and BES had to come. You would be surprised at how many boats end up with a post through a window, or holes punched into the side. And how many times it happens when the boat is "borrowed"...and the owner has no idea the boat is even at the Bay. Then there was the guy who borrowed his dad's brand new boat, with out asking, while he was on a trip out of state, loaded up all his buddies for a secret weekend at the Bay. One of them brought along a bunch of drugs, invited an under cover down to party on board, got busted with coke and they confiscated the boat. Now that must have been hard to explain..."dad, you know that $40,000. you just spent on a new boat, well....
Then there was the time Shy Fox, from the Buddha's almost sunk at the dock with so many people on board to watch a banana eating contest taking place on the bridge. The back deck was almost under water, and that is a big Viking, 63ft. I think. And the time Kid Rock was on A-dock, and Bob Dillon was riding a bike through the park...so many stories.

candita4

C dock

Postby candita4 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:31 am

You may remember the Candita iv. Burgandy and cream 38 foot Carver Flybridge. Usually had enough speakers on the bow to give the Roundhouse a run for their money. Always there for New Years.

islander

Postby islander » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:20 am

You know what I think I do remember...the folks I'm thinking of owned a Carver Santiago same colors as you mentioned. Is that you? I seem to remember a woman with medium to long brown hair....and of course the music.
I too own a Carver, 280 express. Got it last summer after the transom split on our Sea Ray. I have to admit, I'm happy with my Carver. They really know how to utilize all the space, I can't believe all the room and storage it has in it. And the thing flat out moves...
Do you still have yours?

Mills

Postby Mills » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 am

Kid Rock on A dock and Bob Dylan riding his bike through the park is SWEET!!! Gotta love the Bay!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

islander

Postby islander » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:24 am

Hmm, who else...Shel Silverstein spent a summer on the island, he wrote some of Pat's songs, witnessed Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails have a band mate shave his rear in my neighbors kitchen. Must have buns of steal because they didn't use any shaving cream. Still wondering why though, he did it in front of a whole after hours party. Liza Minnelli was a guest at Rattlesnake, years ago. Orson Welles was a guest on North Bass, the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld was on the Bay a couple of years ago. And going way back, Teddy Roosevelt, R. Hayes, Benjamin Harrison, visited the West End Club on Middle Bass, Todd Lincoln and Pres. Grant both visited Pelee, Katherine Hepburn would visit the Actor's Colony on PIB...and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. Oh, and John Brown Jr. the son of the famous abolitionist lived and died on PIB, Jay Cooke the civil war finacier owned Gibralter Island, and built the castle there.

candita4

C dock

Postby candita4 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Yes, it was a Santego. Sold the boat a couple of years ago while it would still bring some money before the bottom fell out of things. I also moved out the Detroit Lake St. Clair area to the tip of lower Michigan. I can see the bridge from my front yard.

Lot's of stories and good times. Looking to make it back for New Year's but it won't be the same with out CanditaIV. As far as the girl with the long brown hair it could one of many. Did you happen to notice what was always hanging off of the radar bar?

Finally Free

Postby Finally Free » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 pm

All this talk and stories MAN...... I'm freekin ready for some PIB. I cant wait to get on the water.

islander

Postby islander » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:45 am

Was it an Ohio State flag floating gracefully in the wind? Couldn't help myself. No for real I don't remember what was on the radar arch. You will have to refresh my memory, there were so many blow up dolls, monkeys, all types of flags stating all kinds of things, panties, bras, and blow up private parts to just name a few that after a while you just didn't notice them any more. Unless of course it was the Duck Factory...how could you not notice everything hanging, and dangling from that old tug, almost like a little too much jewelry, but not quite enough to make it tacky, but certainly enough to catch your eye. You know what, she still comes glittering into Bay at least once a summer. God Bless the Facaowi Crew or however they spell it.

Mills

Postby Mills » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:04 am

I saw Wally Sczerbiak at the Bay maybe 3-4 years ago. He was in Mr. Ed's and was a total a**hole!!!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

Return to “General Topics”