Smoking on Island

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

WCM

Smoking on Island

Postby WCM » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:10 am

Does anyone know if bars on the Island are enforcing the smoking ban?

WCM

Postby WCM » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:07 am

Answer: No, they aren't...at least not this past Saturday where I did the easiest PIB bar crawl ever - Brewery, Skyway, and Tipper's as those were the only places open. Somehow I still ended up just as drunk as if I went to every bar...lol.

Had one of the coolest ferry rides over Saturday morning. It was super foggy and there was still a lot of ice in the water...I felt a little like I was on the Titanic. Then the sky got clear and it was real sunny - the fog lifted over the Island but was still in the channel so you couldn't see any of Middle Bass except the top of the Lonz Tower. I took some pics if you want to check them out...didn't come out as good on camera as it was in person, but not bad.

http://photos.yahoo.com/teets43456 - see Island pics folder

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:18 am

My guess is that they would have to considering it's in the State of Ohio. We both know that liquor control is up there a hell of a lot more than you would see it around here.
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:45 am

Tell me this isn't true, they are not banning smoking in bars???

I am not going to be happy. WHen I have a drink I want a few smokes.

Freakin Nazi's.

pbosak

Postby pbosak » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:21 am

As a non-smoker, I love the ban but, to be honest, I never really noticed a problem in the bars at PIB.

Taz

Postby Taz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:53 am

I have Paul, and as much as I hate to say It I can't wait for the full ban to take affect.
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:03 am

Well, I will be spending more time ont he boat and less in the bars then.

Can I at least smoke at the winery or outside on patios and pool bars, or is that considered part of the ban?

THe bars will lose business because of this, although PIB should be alright because it's so packed anyway.

Didn't you Ohians learn anything after Toledo did this and it was repealed?

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:23 am

I can't wait for the ban to take effect either. I used to smoke, and since quitting, it's so nice to come home from the bar and not smell like smoke. I shouldn't have to wear crappy clothes, or not bring my purse with me so it won't smell. From what I've seen, none of the bars around me have lost any business due to the smoking ban. I won't go into the ones that still allow it.

Yes, you can still smoke on patios as long as it's designated that way. Depends on the place I guess.

pbosak

Postby pbosak » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:38 am

There really is a difference in the bars that don't allow smoking. It's one of those things that you don't know how good it is until it happens. Seems fair for the smokers as well since they always have a designated spot outside. In the winter they have those heaters out there as well.

Should be an even better summer now.

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:51 am

No business should be told how to run it.
If all you nonsmokers want a nonsmoking bar then start one, but don't force others to suffer.

ANd noone has to go to a smoking bar, it's thier choice.

I don't like that bars sell food with so much fat and cholesteral, should I start a petition to ban bars from selling those foods?

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:01 pm

right, but you aren't being forced to eat it. However, we are being forced to breathe it in. Lung cancer runs in my family, and I would like to lessen my chances of getting it. I don't think that we should be pushed out of bars if we don't want to smell like it.

If you want a bar to smoke in, start a members only place, and charge a monthly fee to belong... Smoke your hearts out! literally!

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:44 pm

You are not forced to go to the bar, you can stay home or start your own bar.

Peopel should be allowed to open any type of place we want, so we should be able to have bars we smoke.

If you want it smoke free than start one. But no smart bar owner would because they would have no customers.

I don't agree with strip clubs, so I just don't go. I don't try and force them to stop those type of places because they have that right.

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:47 pm

But we also have the right to go to the bars. You can still smoke, just outside.

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:48 pm

It's just as easy for the smokers to not go to the bars... so they should just stay home if they have a problem with the smoking ban.

WCM

Postby WCM » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:54 pm

As mentioned, its not being enforced.

But as a weekend smoker, I wish it would be. Not having your clothes smell like "bar" the next morning is a big plus. And even though i smoke (outside) my clothes don't have that ash tray smell on it the next morning - its great.

And businesses are regulated all the time, even more so on the Island. Liquer patrol only came through there a few summers ago and told businesses how they should be operated. No different here.

Return to “General Topics”