Demolition of the Flats

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

Bullette

Demolition of the Flats

Postby Bullette » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:10 pm

I just read online that they are going to start demolishing 8 of the business's as early as tomorrow. The properties include the former Joe's Crab Shack, Fado Irish Pub, the Beach Club and Dick's Last Resort.

I remember going to some of these places before being old enough to drink. We were down there the other night after the Gun's N Hoses party, and it's so sad to see what's happened to it. Hopefully, in the future, it will be a happening place again!
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

Katrinka

Postby Katrinka » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:20 pm

Awww - that is sooo sad. Fagan's happy hours were the absolute best.

dvlcrush

Postby dvlcrush » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Ya, what happened to it? I mean I use to hear about that place from some of my friends that went before...Im assuming when it was hoping and said it was so much fun!!

Why did it stop?
Laugh when you can, Apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change. Kiss slowly, Play hard, Forgive quickly, Take chances, Give everything and Have NO Regrets. Life is too short to be ANYTHING but HAPPY!!!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:49 pm

I'm not sure the exact reason that it stopped... but I do know that a few people ended up in the water after a night of drinking. My brother used to work at Shooters (which is still open, and still hoppin in the summer) and he rescued one guy.

My guess would just be parking, and then the rise of West 6th street... which is where liquid is at. Taz may know more.

dvlcrush

Postby dvlcrush » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:59 pm

I see..........Well that sucks!! West 6th didnt seem that far away from the flatts if I recall properly
Laugh when you can, Apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change. Kiss slowly, Play hard, Forgive quickly, Take chances, Give everything and Have NO Regrets. Life is too short to be ANYTHING but HAPPY!!!

Taz

Postby Taz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:57 pm

There are a few reasons;

First, There are major sewer problems underneath the businesses. Nothing says fun like smelling a backed up industrial size sewer in 90 degree weather, even when a stiff breeze is blowing!

Second, They stopped allowing boaters to tie up and raft off each other along both sides of the river.

Third, They started charging 10 dollars for parking and a 5 dollar cover charge for every bar.

Fourth, They got in some trouble for health code violations, underage drinking, and tax evasion issues.

Fifth, Drink prices went thru the roof and crime started to be an issue.
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 am

/Oh yea... I forgot about them not allowing the boaters to tie off in the river... I remember when Have a Nice Day Cafe was down there... We used to go all the time

WCM

Postby WCM » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Yeah - reasons 4 and 5 stand out in my head. Too bad, The Flats were a great time back in the day...

dvlcrush

Postby dvlcrush » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:43 pm

Gotcha!!

pbosak

Postby pbosak » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:12 am

Any idea of what they're going to build down there once the demolition is done?

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:40 am

not completely sure.. I think some housing.. you can probably find it on cleveland.com

Taz

Postby Taz » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:42 am

They just had a big article on it. They are building a whole new community down there. High rise condo's around a shopping plaza with businesses mixed in.
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:54 am

I love the ones that they are building now.. but man... way out of my price range... i can't afford 1 mil...

WCM

Postby WCM » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:58 pm

Here's some of what they are building on the west bank of the flats. Looks pretty cool:

http://www.stonebridge-condominiums.com/index.htm

mobay

Postby mobay » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:53 am

If you want the scoop on the Flats, be sure to ask a resident of the Flats!

In the summer of 2002 3 people died by drowning in the river. The first was an accident, where a bar patron who was watching a fight was struck. He fell over the railing on the deck, hit his head on a boat and was found a few days later. The second was a party goer who fell into the river at Shooters after hours. He was urinating in the river when he fell in. The third was a dancer at the Cicus (now the hustler club) who hopped a fence at the river fire station with her boyfriend late night, fell in the river and died. These three deaths were all just a few weeks of each other.

The city did indeed crack down on violations right around that time in a surprise raid along the east bank, and closed a few for fire violations. This closed the bars for a few weekends and helped aid the perception that the flats were becoming unsafe.

The other factor that doesn't get much attention is the growth of the warehouse district took patrons from the flats and moved them up the hill.

As for the east bank project, you can get information on it through the Flats Oxbow Association website. The plan calls for everything north or Main Street to be leveled, a boardwalk placed along the river and Old River Rd being moved east in order to accommodate. The buildings will be replaced with a movie theater, grocery, first level shops/restaurants and condo/apartment units above them. A proposal was also made for inclusion to a replacement for the Defense Department DFAS center currently located downtown.

As for the West Bank, it still is and always has been the bomb and will continue to stay that way as long as I live there ;-)
I miss the old Mr. Ed's. I still hate the Beer Barrel. I'm diggin' Hooligans. And Mills isn't the only hot guy up there now with a bald head!

Return to “General Topics”