Fund Raiser

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

jojolion3

Fund Raiser

Postby jojolion3 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:13 am

A few years back one of my oldest friends lost her husband, an iron worker, in the crane accident on the new I280 bridge in Toledo. They are having a fund raiser for the Memorial and if you would be, or know someone interested, the information is below. I know it is a little pricey but will mean a lot to all of the family members who lost love ones that day.

Thanks!
Jojo

FINISHING WORK
Now that all of the bridge's concrete segments have been installed, the biggest thing that remains is installing the state-of-the-art LED lighting system and glass panels in the pylon. Also before we can drive on the Skyway, a few months of finishing work must be completed including deck profile grinding, expansion joint placement and completion of barrier rails throughout the project. Weather permitting, the bridge should be open to traffic close to Memorial Day!

TAKE A LOOK
View the bridge from one of the project's nine Web cams at www.lookuptoledo.org or www.dot.state.oh.us/dist2/mrc/mrc.htm.

THE SKYWAY CONSTRUCTION STORY IN PHOTOS
The Veterans' Glass City Skyway represents the largest, most expensive single project undertaken in the history of the Ohio Department of Transportation. The new crossing carries six lanes of traffic on I-280 and reaches a height of about 130 feet near the center of the river. The Toledo Museum of Art commissioned a series of photographs by Lynn Whitney to document the construction of the bridge, and you can see the results in a free exhibition entitled "From Start to Finish: Photographs of Toledo's I-280 Bridge Project," on view in Gallery 18 of your Museum from March 9th through June 1st.

PLANNING UNDERWAY FOR OPENING CELEBRATIONS
Plans are being made for two different events to commemorate the opening of the Veterans' Glass City Skyway this spring. One will be the [banned] opening celebration that will occur as soon as the bridge is ready for traffic. In addition to the ceremonial ribbon cutting, community members will have the opportunity to participate in a walk or run across the Skyway.

The Task Force is also in the planning stages of presenting a special fund-raising [banned] opening gala themed "Some Enlightened Evening" on Thursday, May 24, 2007. The gala will raise money to construct and install the permanent memorial sculpture recently approved by the Tribute Committee. Tickets for the event are $100 and can be purchased by calling: 419-206-0398.

Details on the [banned] opening will be posted on www.lookuptoledo.org as they become available.

PROJECT LITERATURE
Call the project Hot line at 419-244-7696 for literature on the pylon, stay cables, roadways and segment casting.

"DISCOVERING BRIDGES" IN THE CLASSROOM
The Education Committee for the Veterans' Glass City Skyway Task Force and The Arts Commission of Greater Toledo has produced a tool kit for educators. The "Discovering Bridges" loan boxes include models, maps, videos, books and posters. The kit includes a teacher's guide filled with fresh, teacher-tested classroom activities as well as lesson plans and helpful Web sites. Loan boxes are available to borrow from WGTE (419-380-4634). Waiting for a loan box to become available? The Toledo/Lucas County Public Library has copies of the Teacher's Guide to get you started.

REACHING THE FIELD OFFICE
The field office is located at 1838 Front Street, Toledo, Ohio 43605. The office phone number is 419-698-2965 and the fax number is 419-691-2403. The project Hot line number is 419-244-7696.

dvlcrush

Postby dvlcrush » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:36 am

Wont be able to make it, and I know its been a lil while but still my deepest sympathy to your friend and there loss!!!
Laugh when you can, Apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change. Kiss slowly, Play hard, Forgive quickly, Take chances, Give everything and Have NO Regrets. Life is too short to be ANYTHING but HAPPY!!!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:59 am

My Sympathies as well... I remember when that happened. It truly is sad.
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

pbosak

Postby pbosak » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:29 am

Hey Jojo,
I will not be able to attend either. I also remember hearing the news of that tragedy. I'm really sorry to hear it was a friend of yours loved one. Must be very difficult for them. I was not able to open the details website for some reason.

Thanks for the information though.

Return to “General Topics”