Best places to stay on the island

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

jcrew91

Best places to stay on the island

Postby jcrew91 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:51 am

Hi all. A group of us from Chicago are coming for a weekend and were curious what are the best alternatives for overnight accomodations. Some in the group are not big campers so any suggestions on hotel/motel, cottages etc would be great.

Any thoughts on The Islands, PIB Resort, etc.?

Thanks
J.

Jagerman17

Postby Jagerman17 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:36 am

I will be glad to take this one ...

To me this is very simple .. while I am not throwing out "street cred" here or anything like that, (although if you ask anyone like KellyG or Mills I/we have plenty from I/other buddy "jagerboys days" just a few years back in where we got out of hand with drinking and getting to know a majority of the island and employees) ... from a visitors standpoint, I know this island better then I know my own town.

There are a few people on the island that "operate" under different outlook and views -- basically, they dont care all that much about their customers/clients -- or you could say, the real people that pay their bills. Then there are some that truly cater to and treat their guests as friends and as human beings ... and it shows in the way they operate.

The hotels to me is very simple.... I have found, in its 2 years of operation that the PIB resort is hands down in a class of its own. From the owner, all the way down to the bouncer at the door checking ID's at the pool bar. Their pool bar is by far the best on the island in terms of overall experience. While their may be a "new one" that looks awfully good from the outside, .... well, lets just put it this way, everytime I walk by the place, people are packed in and it looks like BG is holding football tryouts in there -- it is overrun with dudes. The "other island" pool bar seems to get worse year after year ... dirty dirty dirty and the "scenery" is not all that great either.

From what I have found, PIB resort is by far the best on the island ..so good in fact, that I was considering heading over on Saturday of x-mas JUST for the pool bar atmosphere during the day. (I have opted to stay away from xmas this year because it gets way to crowded with the wrong type of people in my opinion - * see brandon fom boathouse getting stabbed 2 years ago!) but I have decided I cant do it because of time -- but the ONLY reason I was considering going was because of this pool bar.

Also check out the commodore and edgewater as well, as the same guy owns this as well. I have not stayed there but once, but can tell you you will enjoy it.

Hope this helps and I cant stress enough how great I feel PIB resort is .. in fact, put it this way, I had a best friend in town from Tampa where I live in the winter, and he said, and I quote ... "This is unf**king beleivable .. I would never think I was in ohio" ( and keep in mind he is dating the head Buccaneers cheerleader and there is not alot of UGLY women in Tampa either as well as a pretty much perfect atmosphere -- so this speaks volumes!!!!

Angela Delligatti

places to stay

Postby Angela Delligatti » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:54 am

Hey, we always stay at the commodore. It is centrally located and one of the best pool bars on the island. what weekend are you coming? we will be there the last of the month. goodluck and drink plenty of water :wink:

Mills

Postby Mills » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:34 am

As Jagerman says I TOTALLY agree that there are some owners of hotels and bars that do not care about the customer! I would say that The Commodore, Edgewater, Island Club, and PIB Resort would be the best places to stay! Stay away from the I-slander and G-rand I-slander hotels! Unless you have no other choice!

As for bars they are all good except for the Rear Barrel!! Replace the "R" in Rear with the letter "B" and that is the real name, but it is a banned word on this board for the above reasons! My favorites are Mr. Ed's, Frosty's, and Boathouse!! Brewery and Fish Bowl are not bad either!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

jcrew91

Postby jcrew91 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We are targeting Labor Day weekend but that may move up a couple of weeks into Aug. There seems to be plenty of availability during Labor Day. Is that weekend typically slow? We prefer not to drive 6 hrs and then be bored. Although we are certainly capable of entertaining ourselves, but it is more fun with strangers.

Thanks again
J

kindy52

Postby kindy52 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:27 pm

Fortunately, I haven't had to book a room for a couple of years, However, I do recommend the Commodore. Mr. Ed used to have a 3 strikes and you're out policy. I know that because Bobdog, another, and I had 2 one year before we got our luggage into the room. (something about public nudity and lawn furniture abuse)

Another great place if you have a big group is D & D cottages. We had one of our best all time trips when we stayed there.

Haven't stayed at the Resort yet but it looks like a good place to stay. I did have a blast there at the pool last year.
Hide the Rum!

Bobdog

Postby Bobdog » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:17 pm

JC,

Sounds like these guys have already steered you in the right direction. If you guys have a big group, a cottage would be the way to go. You can get 10+ people in one of them and keep the costs down. Commodore also offers some large suites, that sleep 6-8. They only have a few of them, so you need to book early.

I have stayed at the Commodore many times and they have always taken good care of us and are very tolerant of most of the drunken activities that tend to take place. Plus the pool is a great place to party, during the day. Whether you stay there or not.

I have not stayed at PIB Resort, but I have heard good things about it and their pool is also a good spot to party, during the day.

Hope this helps.

Bobdog

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:25 pm

Labor Day is a busy weekend, don't worry about that.

Just realize that a lot of folks are getting ready to go back to school.

Any weekend you go there there will be plenty of strangers to meet and have a good time with.

funboy2121

xxxx

Postby funboy2121 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:22 pm

This year we stayed at the Island club. If you have a large group like us.(12) people. It is like a little drinking community there. In the day there is people playing bags,and partying. and at night when everything closes everybody is partying in their houses with everybody in the area. Must keep it down though! Stayed at some house's close to the main strip, but they didn't want us back because we had a couple of girls in the room. I don't know maybe their gay! Island club is not in walking distance from the main strip, but taxi's are non-stop and only 3$ a ride.
NO FOOLS, NO FUN!

Scooter

PIB Resort

Postby Scooter » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:01 pm

I cannot say enough about the PIB Resort. There customer service was wonderful. Somehow, my reservations that I booked back in January for the Christmas in July weekend got lost. :cry: We happened to find this out when I called a week before we were suppossed to leave to check on the remaining balance for our room. It took them a good 1/2 day to figure out what had happened. They found records of where they billed my credit card for the deposit but no reservation could be found. As you can imagine my friends and I were flipping out. They put us at the top of there cancellation list and with a little luck something did come through for us about 3 days before we were supposed to leave. It was a smaller room but we did not care. They set it up with extra cots, gave us free drinks at the pool bar, offered us a golf cart for the day and free buffet breakfast on Saturday. They really took care of us the best they could. :D

Originally, I wanted to stay at the "Island" hotel like I had done in the past and I was a little aggravated that my friends wanted to stay at the PIB Reosrt this year. However, after comparing the two pools I was so glad that we had chosen the PIB Resort instead. We are already planning our next girl trip and we plan on staying at the PIB again next year.

Taz

Postby Taz » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:58 am

Glad it all worked out for ya!
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:45 am

Carrie is that you??
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Scooter

Postby Scooter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:57 am

Hey Mills!! It's me. I finally became a participant rather than just a reader on the board. :)

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:14 am

SWEET!!! Check out my book about the 2 day weekend LOL!!!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

Scooter

Postby Scooter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:54 am

I did check out the book you wrote. Great report!!

Return to “General Topics”