First timers

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

WildcatBengal

First timers

Postby WildcatBengal » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:59 pm

I am coming up to Put in Bay the weekend of June 22-25. This is the first time for anyone from the group. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is beer sold at the grocery store expensive? Or should I just bring it from the mainland.

2. I need suggestions on good bars. This a bachelor party and we have guys ranging from 25 to 50.

Thanks in advance for any response

AnytimeAnywhere

Postby AnytimeAnywhere » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:24 pm

1. A friend who has a condo on the island said the price of beer at grocery stores is comparable to stores off the island.

2. Mr. Ed's and the Boathouse rock. I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses on this question!

Make sure you don't take any alcohol outside and bring plenty of beads!

AA

gomer

Postby gomer » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:42 pm

I wouldn't worry about bringing beer over from the mainland, the beer isn't that expensive to buy, well until you get to the bars. If you want liquor you better bring that with you because there is no liquor store on the island. Some good bars to check out are Frosty's, the Brewery(late night) and the Boathouse.

islander

Postby islander » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:05 pm

When you come to PIB you have to remember everything will run a bit higher. There is the cost to have everything shipped over on the boat and it is a resort destination. But the cost of beer might be a little more, however not much. So you have to figure out if you want to save a buck and lug it over yourself or just run down to one of the stores that sell it when you get there.
You are coming on a great weekend...the Webster's are playing as well as Mad Dog. So you won't have a want for good entertainment. Mad Dog is a must see, a two for one show...comedy and music. He only plays during the day though.
As for the bars, there is something for every one. And I would suggest hitting them all since you've never been there, that way you can see which ones will suit your tastes best. There is also a Winery on the island and it is always a good time too. Plus a lot of other things to do like wave runners, kayaks, parasailing, golf, bi-plane rides over the islands. I guess what I'm trying to say is...don't worry you'll have fun.

islander

Postby islander » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:06 pm

When you come to PIB you have to remember everything will run a bit higher. There is the cost to have everything shipped over on the boat and it is a resort destination. But the cost of beer might be a little higher, however not much. So you have to figure out if you want to save a buck and lug it over yourself or just run down to one of the stores that sell it when you get there.
You are coming on a great weekend...the Webster's are playing as well as Mad Dog. So you won't have a want for good entertainment. Mad Dog is a must see, a two for one show...comedy and music. He only plays during the day though.
As for the bars, there is something for every one. And I would suggest hitting them all since you've never been there, that way you can see which ones will suit your tastes best. There is also a Winery on the island and it is always a good time too. Plus a lot of other things to do like wave runners, kayaks, parasailing, golf, bi-plane rides over the islands. I guess what I'm trying to say is...don't worry you'll have fun.

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:44 pm

I would not reccommend bringing beer with you b/c it is maybe $1 more per case than on the mainland and to me $1 is not worth the savings vs having to carry it!! I always buy mine at the drive/walk thru next to the Boathouse. Now if you want hard liquor for your hotel room you will have to bring that with you since they only sell really low proof alcohol on the island. Prices will vary from $3.50 per beer to $6 depending where you are and the size of the can/bottle. Mr. Ed's is usually $.25-$1.00 cheaper than the others. Frosty's totally ROCKS too!!

As for the bars I suggest a pub crawl in this order starting out around noon at the pool bars then late afternoon/early evening:

Pool bars: noon

Mr. Ed's tiki pool bar

Bars: around 5:00 or so

Fishbowl
Tony's
Beer Barrel (Only since you are a virvin) otherwise I say F*** this bar!
Mr. Ed's
Frosty's
Pasquale's
Gazeebo bar and Grill
Boathouse

Late night: 1:00ish

Mr. Ed's
Brewery
Skyway (if you can make it this far LOL)!!!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Taz

Postby Taz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:02 pm

Take some time to surf this website, just about any question you have has already had a topic on it.
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

radman

Postby radman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:23 pm

I'd been coming to PIB since HiSchool, back when the nearest police was the Erie County Sheriff that came over on the Gold or Blue Line once every nite.
Never went to Fishbowl until this Memorial weekend. So one tweek to Mills list is to have the Fishbowl Margaritia - obviously at the Fishbowl - and just before dinner. You will drop $20 per, but they are an awesome table setting to a wonderful evening. We sat in the window, smokin and jokin for an hour.

funboy2121

xxx

Postby funboy2121 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:54 am

Well I suggest renting golf carts and doing a pub crawl also! Your coming on a good weekend because at the skyway bar which is farther than all the bars mentioned is having their rib cook off. It was a great time when I went a couple of years ago. A lot of people there, plus you pay about 5-10$ , and you get to sample ribs from different people(good eatin).It's good to get something in your belly before the power drinking resumes. :twisted:
NO FOOLS, NO FUN!

CincySteve38

Postby CincySteve38 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:01 am

I always bring a cooler on wheels full of beer. Every time I go, I meet new friends. Got to be prepared for an instant party. Need to bring the swimsuit for the afternoons. Can't go wrong with Mr. Ed's. The Skyway is the last bar open. Be careful on the streets. Cops walking the streets, and won't hesitate to haul you in.

WildcatBengal

Postby WildcatBengal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:55 pm

I appreciate everyone's responses. I was worried that the beer was going to be like $5 or more a cases. A couple of bucks more a case is fine. Mills I appreciate the itinerary. I feel like I won the [banned] Prize on Pig in a Poke and you laid out of whole weekend for us. Sounds like a whole lot of drinking in store for us. Me likey :D

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:37 am

You betcha! Have fun and make sure to post a Trip Report when you get back!!
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Return to “General Topics”