Best way to the bay in winter?

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

mobay

Best way to the bay in winter?

Postby mobay » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:51 pm

What is the best way for someone to get to the islands in the Winter? I have a buddy from Minnesota that love ice fishing, and I'd kinda like to see what the island is like frozen.
I miss the old Mr. Ed's. I still hate the Beer Barrel. I'm diggin' Hooligans. And Mills isn't the only hot guy up there now with a bald head!

pibpatty

Postby pibpatty » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:29 am

Hi Mobay,

There are two ways to get to the island in the winter, by airboat or plane. You can fly with either Griffin out of Sandusky and Port Clinton or Dairy Air. The airboat leaves from the Miller dock. I use both ways of transportation.
I'm here all winter so let me know if you make it over. The island is so much fun in the winter.

pibpatty
pibpatty

mobay

Postby mobay » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:07 am

Thanks Patty! Does the Miller line run the airboat? Could I contact them for more information?
I miss the old Mr. Ed's. I still hate the Beer Barrel. I'm diggin' Hooligans. And Mills isn't the only hot guy up there now with a bald head!

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:47 pm

I was invited up last year by my old boss... I never did make it though.. l
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

islander

Postby islander » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:25 pm

Hard Water Charters runs daily air boat service between Cat. and PIB once the winter season is rolling. They will be cheaper than flying, the air boat is inclosed but seating is limited and fills up very fast. You can call them and reserve a spot, they will be listed in the book or you can get their number out of the PIB Gazette.
There are also a number of ice fishing guides who will hook you up with a heated shanty, gear, bait and transportation to and from your shanty. One of the ice guides has a game type feed/cook out almost everyday out on the ice at lunch time. Which is fun, I often stop out to steel a bite. Some also will take people out to where the fish are biting that day. So if they aren't biting where the shanty is, they may move you around. You might be bucket fishing, but at least you can go where the fish are. Like if they are up by MB, north of Rattlesnake, off Green or out by NB.
Go with a guide....the ice is dangerous if you don't know where the currents run (makes the ice thin) and the cracks can be dangerous to cross too if you don't know how they work. Those cracks may be safe one minute and dangerous the next. There are slush banks to look out for, which are hard to see if they are covered up with a layer of snow. Lots of things you really need to know before you just head out. A guide is the only safe way to go if your not from the islands and don't know the "lay of the land" out there. But it is soooo much fun! Winter time is a blast! There are often ice parties with bon fires right out in the bay just off the docks. There can be an ice party any time anywhere. Pull up the middlebass.org to see some photos. Have fun this winter and I hope you catch the big one!

Return to “General Topics”