Oktoberfest

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

livewirecs

Oktoberfest

Postby livewirecs » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:18 pm

Hey all, I was just wondering...Is Oktoberfest worth driving 3 & 1/2 hours for. I just came bakc from New Years, but I am contemplating coming up again this weekend.
Get Me To The Bay! (listen to my show online at www.thedriveat5.com )

lake-erie-pirate

Postby lake-erie-pirate » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:52 pm

Short answer .... no.

There is small tent in the park with all the acitivities held inside. It's usually cold and windy and very little else is open at this point.
:cry:
Summer is over .... winter is coming.
:cry:

Taz

Postby Taz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:32 pm

I've never been for this weekend, but any weekend at the Bay is worth the trip.
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

admin1
Site Admin

Postby admin1 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:02 pm

This weekend is really weather driven, if it is decent, there will be a good crowd. The bars will all be open with the exception of maybe the Crescent Tavern. If you are in the shopping mode, this time of year is the best time for buying as all of the gift shops etc. are selling at reduced prices.

The large tent in which the Octoberfest is held generally has 15 or so restaurants serving their version of German food and there are really some pretty good items.

All in all there is really never a BAD weekend to go to the bay!

CabinGirl

Postby CabinGirl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:32 am

It probably depends on what kind of weekend you want to have. Don't expect it to be the same party as New Years! It's more relaxed. But (as with everything) it'd be as fun as you make it.

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:34 am

The end of the year weekends are definitely worth it, last weekend was the worst weather of the year and still a blast. Everything was still open, and it's nice to actually be able to get a drink and relax, but at the same time there are plenty of people partying!

CabinGirl

Postby CabinGirl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:56 am

It did sounds like you had a good time last weekend Kay! Made me want to be there 8)

islander

Postby islander » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:21 am

Oktoberfest is a blast in my book....if you are looking for New Years re-lived, then no it's not worth the drive. This weekend tends to bring out all the island residents, regulars, dock trash, and the likes. There is a nice size crowd, not to big and not to small. Perfect for mixing. The food is great, and I mean great. The music is polka, but there are still other bands at the bars. And most of them are open as well as most of the shops. A few are closed already, but most everything is still open, and sales galore. This is the time of year when you see things on the island that might turn your head...like Pat Dailey has been known to surprise the Roundy crowd with a little concert on stage with Mad Dog. (I have the pictures to prove it).
As for the weather, well it could go either way, normally it is pretty nice that weekend, however nasty weather can't be ruled out. So if you are coming to spend the day on the golf cart you might have a proplem, but if you are coming to enjoy the festivities and bars then who cares what the weather is doing!
Fall is a favorite time of year for regulars....fun parties, lot's of laughs and very social time. It is a great time to meet other "Bay Regulars" as fall weekends often bring out all the old school.
I say, give it a try...you can't beat the fall hotel rates. I think you'll have a ball...I know I will be having a blast.

islander

Postby islander » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:22 am

Oktoberfest is a blast in my book....if you are looking for New Years re-lived, then no it's not worth the drive. This weekend tends to bring out all the island residents, regulars, dock trash, and the likes. There is a nice size crowd, not to big and not to small. Perfect for mixing. The food is great, and I mean great. The music is polka, but there are still other bands at the bars. And most of them are open as well as most of the shops. A few are closed already, but most everything is still open, and sales galore. This is the time of year when you see things on the island that might turn your head...like Pat Dailey has been known to surprise the Roundy crowd with a little concert on stage with Mad Dog. (I have the pictures to prove it).
As for the weather, well it could go either way, normally it is pretty nice that weekend, however nasty weather can't be ruled out. So if you are coming to spend the day on the golf cart you might have a proplem, but if you are coming to enjoy the festivities and bars then who cares what the weather is doing!
Fall is a favorite time of year for regulars....fun parties, lot's of laughs and very social time. It is a great time to meet other "Bay Regulars" as fall weekends often bring out all the old school.
I say, give it a try...you can't beat the fall hotel rates. I think you'll have a ball...I know I will be having a blast.

Return to “General Topics”