motorcycles

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

rodsnhawgs

motorcycles

Postby rodsnhawgs » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:00 pm

4 couples are planning a firtst-time trip to the bay this summer. What can we expect in the way of traffic, parking, moving about, ferry transportation, etc.?

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:21 am

I have seen some bikes on the island before. You have to come over on the miller ferry and the miller ferry website says to call ahead with bikes. I heard the lines for cars are long, but I have never been on the ferry so...
Are you going to leave your bikes on banned or bring them on the island? There isn't much place to ride on the island.

Taz

Postby Taz » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:09 pm

Almost everything is walking distance, all the bars are close. You might want to leave the bikes behind.
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

rodsnhawgs

motorcycles

Postby rodsnhawgs » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:13 pm

We don't have anywhere to leave the bikes (safely) so we'll be bringing them over. It looks like we might be able to depart from Port Clinton, then take a return toward Sandusky - is that correct/possible?

islander

Postby islander » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:19 pm

Yea, some times the traffic can get a bit harry on busy days, lots of things on the road to dodge, golf carts,(lots and lots of those, you don't even know) bikes riding 4 abreast, people walking, people on roller blades, skate boarders, and tour trains.(You get behind a tour train that is behind a golf cart that is behind a roller blader, ugh, it will take you all day to get where you want to go.) Parking too can be hard to find as it is VERY limited. If your heart isn't set on bringing the bikes I would say leave them on the mainland and just rent a golf cart or take a cab. If your staying over some places will let you rent the golf cart over night. Keep in mind the island is only 3 miles long and a mile wide at the thickest point so nothing is really very far. Whatever you decide you'll have a great time.

islander

Postby islander » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:26 pm

The Jet Express leaves from Port Clinton and this summer Sandusky too, but they just carry passengers. The Miller Boat Line is the only way to get bikes over and they leave from Catawba Island.

admin1
Site Admin

Postby admin1 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:23 pm

As a biker myself, I would kind of be on the fence on this issue. It would get old pretty fast going around in circles on a 2 X 5 mile island but it is very pretty and relaxed riding out along the West side of the island. After hitting the bars, you don't want to be mixing it up with golf carts, bikes and mopeds.

If you decide to leave them on the mainland, just be sure to lock them up together. Port Clinton and Catawba Island are safe areas but no sense taking any chances. Whatever you decide to do, I am sure your visit to the bay will be a great one!!

Taz

Postby Taz » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:20 pm

Just chain them together then chain them to a light pole.
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:53 am

I have a motorcycle also and I would be more worried about someone tipping it over, or it being rained on, but you can check the weather and hopefully noone is that big of an a$$.

Return to “General Topics”