Cell Phones?

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

Mister Kay

Cell Phones?

Postby Mister Kay » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:03 pm

I have been going to Ohio a lot and my verizon phone works well in the Toledo area, how are the other areas in Ohio?
I am trying to remember what it was like in PIB with it, I am pretty sure that I had good service just about all of the time, actually now that I think of it I did.
I have a friend working for T-Mobile and she can get me a good deal but I am worried about the services in Ohio and PIB with it.

Has anyone had problems/good results with either of these companies in Ohio, mostly PIB?

Thanks.

CabinGirl

Postby CabinGirl » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:38 pm

I've got Verizon and it works great - best that I've found so far. I had Cingular and it roamed anywhere near the lake. That wasn't cool.
Becky & Adam
Seas the Bay

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:58 pm

I have verizon too... works well... hey, the three of us can call each other on the in-network plan!
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

CabinGirl

Postby CabinGirl » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:02 pm

yeah we can! We're so cool 8)
Becky & Adam
Seas the Bay

Bullette

Postby Bullette » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:06 pm

aren't we.. i'm sure that other bay talkers are wishing they were as cool as us now!
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

mobay

Postby mobay » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:51 pm

Not really :P

I have cingular too, and it doesn't roam around the lake. But that is okay, since I have nationwide roaming!

I might suggest staying away from T-Mobile though. My friend has that, and when he was there his phone actually said "Canada" on the screen and got paranoid he was paying international fees in Ohio.
I miss the old Mr. Ed's. I still hate the Beer Barrel. I'm diggin' Hooligans. And Mills isn't the only hot guy up there now with a bald head!

Mister Kay

Postby Mister Kay » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 pm

i HAD ANOTHER FRIEND IN WHICH IT WAS BEING PICKED UP BY CANADA WITH T-MOBILE,,,,,I THINK I WILL STAY WITH VERIZON

Back 2 B Dock

Postby Back 2 B Dock » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:37 pm

Verizon has a tower on the Island. I had AT&T which is now Cingular and it was horrible. It was roaming to Canada on the island and I couldn't get a signal on the water. Verizon worked all the way across the lake and up the Detroit River.

admin1
Site Admin

Postby admin1 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:55 pm

Verizon does in fact have a tower on the Island and reciprocal agreements with Alltel and several other carriers. Nextel will be placing a tower on the island this spring. Even with Verizon which we use, there are dead spots on the island near the Miller Ferry and Island Club but according to the Verizon rep, they are negotiating another tower which should solve that problem.

Many people who have Sprint PCS have also said they have problems on the island but I have no personal experience with this carrier.

AnytimeAnywhere

T-Mobile

Postby AnytimeAnywhere » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:36 pm

I have T-Mobile and it works fine on the island. Their service was flaky until I upgraded my phone. Now, I get a good signal most places (Toledo, NW Ohio, PIB). I have their cheap plan with long distance. Works well for me.

AA :)

Taz

Postby Taz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:30 am

What is there cheap plan with long distance give you and for what price?
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

pbosak

Postby pbosak » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:00 pm

I have Sprint and get really good service on the island. I just started getting good service last year or the year before. Before that, I only knew of one place where I could make calls. I'd have to stand in someone's driveway. Now seems like I get service all over the island.

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:59 pm

My cell phone sucks on the island! That is why I usually end up using pbosak's!! I have AT & T through Cincinnati Bell. Most major cities it is good though like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Toledo, ETC....
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

AnytimeAnywhere

Postby AnytimeAnywhere » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:54 pm

Taz wrote:What is there cheap plan with long distance give you and for what price?

$19.99 (Basic Plan) for 60 Weekday and 500 Weekend minutes and it's nationwide coverage. Not alot of minutes if you use a cell phone alot, but it gets me by. Here's a link: http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/Default.asp?tab=national

AA

jlobe2112

Cell Phones?

Postby jlobe2112 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:18 pm

I had AT&T the first time I went up there last year and it didn't work at all. But then I got Verizon and now it works awesome anywhere downtown on the island. I would suggest staying with Verizon.

Return to “General Topics”