Alcohol and Golf Carts?

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

LondonBridge

Alcohol and Golf Carts?

Postby LondonBridge » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Will be stayin at PIB end of June, and plan on doing some relaxin' and golf cart drivin'. I've seen posts about people getting into enough trouble with alcohol and golf carts to to get a DUI. How closely do they monitor alcohol consumption and golf cart driving? As long as you're not being an idiot, are they pretty much cool about it??

Bryan

Re: Alcohol and Golf Carts?

Postby Bryan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Get a designated driver. Period!
I have seen more cops the last two weekends than I have EVER seen since I've been coming to the bay several years ago. It aint worth getting popped for a DUI.

Mills

Postby Mills » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:57 am

I would drive the golf carts earlier in the day then return them before you get tanked. I would say if you have a couple and tour the island you should be ok, but if you are going to be drinking all day then drive them it is a bad idea...
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

chucksberg

Postby chucksberg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:08 pm

It costs less than a drink to get anywhere on the island in a cab. Almost all the bars are in walking distance of each other except maybe Joe's and the Skyway. Like Mills said....2 or 3 and park it. Golf carts tend to make me stupid even when I'm sober....kinda like my Jet ski. I put my stupid hat on when I'm at the helm of either.

admin1
Site Admin

Postby admin1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:26 am

Golf Carts are licensed motor vehicles on the island and all of the same laws apply as with an automobile. The Designated driver is the way to go.

PIBTV

Postby PIBTV » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:39 pm

If you want to drink Alcohol and drive a Golf Cart at Put-in-Bay, this is the ONLY way I would recommend it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dV6u8xxCMA

Other than that, NO WAY.

LondonBridge

Postby LondonBridge » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Got it! Thanks for everyone's responses, I think my question has been answered loud and clear!

WCM

Postby WCM » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:12 pm

BTW, a few weekends ago I saw exactly why you should never drink and drive, even on a golf cart.

My wife and I were out at Joe's, on the patio, and we see a golf cart coming up the road with a man driving and a woman riding with him. She's clearly hammered, he seems to be OK. Their friends had just pulled in ahead of them and were getting out of their golf cart in the parking lot. They pull into the driveway and she starts standing up in the cart like a drunk monkey waving and hollering at which point the driver turns into a parking space...only she doesn't come with him. She had been hanging onto the pole that connects to the roof of the cart so when the golf cart turned, she spun around - still holding onto the pole - but her feet came off the floor of the cart and she lost her balance. Instead of letting go, she basically whip lashed herself into a clumsy "I am hammered and am going to completely wipe out" smashing the back of her head into the parking lot.

At this point, the driver's first instinct was to jump out of the cart and check on her. So he gets out and heads around the back of the cart to where she is sprawled on the ground. Except he doesn't set the parking break on the golf cart and it starts to roll down the hill...and runs her over as she's laying on the ground. So the cart is going in slow motion down the hill when he realizes where it's heading. He's attempting to kick the break when "bump bump" over her leg. And he's still trying to kick the break when "bump bump" the front tires clip her too. Meanwhile, the patio is gaining a crowd of people as we all are watching this go down.

Then it becomes quite a scene...cops/EMS show up, people with open containers everywhere trying to "help", and of course, the driver of the golf cart taking the field sobriety test...and failing.

So yeah, pny up the 2 or 3 $$ and take a cab :)

Katrinka

Postby Katrinka » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:38 pm

I actually know someone that died from a head injury from falling out of a golf cart in the exact same way. At the bay.

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:25 pm

OMG WCM that is the absolute best narrative post I have ever read!!! I feel like I was actually there! If that does not curtail people from drinking and driving golf carts nothing will :shock:
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Return to “General Topics”