Lonz Winery

General information, views and opinions on activities at Put-in-Bay.

Moderator: admin1

Mills

Lonz Winery

Postby Mills » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:34 am

I was wondering if anyone had any new updates on what is going to happen with the old facility? WCM, admin, [banned], patty? Also are all the lawsuits settled?

I was reading some old articles and sparked my interest.
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

WCM

Postby WCM » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:01 am

Don't know much other than since it's owned by the state, probably nothing will happen fast. In addition to the property owned by Lonz's, the state also bought much of the surrounding property including the other side of the marina (to the right as you enter the channel) and all the land from there to the street (there's a house and the My Aunt Irma's store, although the store will remain run by Mrs. Roesch who will rent the building from teh state). I think the state officially takes control of the land this year (or they took control last year, not sure). Now that they have it all consolodated, it will begin development, but that will probably involve a lot of red tape.

It has a lot of potential, hopefully the state gets it right!

islander

Postby islander » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:05 pm

I believe all is settled lawsuit wise. At this point the winery and mansion aren't used for anything, they use the grey house (the first house I ever lived in) as a place for some of the management to stay on weekends, if they don't commute. The State did release the master plan about a year ago. For now they are going expand the marina and make it a top of the line facility. I think they don't really need to add more docks but should just improve what it is they already have and see how that goes first. While the marina fills up on weekends the old tumble weeds blow through there during the week.
The master plan has also included things like a conference center, shops, restaurants, large hotels and maybe a museum....things along those lines. Right now they have some camping on the west end of the old runway, putt putt and a play ground.

As for their plans for North Bass, primitive camping on a permit basis, bird watching, fishing, hiking and maybe bike rentals and some hunting. There has been talk about turning our old house into a museum one day...which would please me as it has much historical value, plus now that my parents have built a new house the critters are moving in the old one and it won't be long before they cause a lot of damage. But all of this is down the road, for now they aren't encourgaing people to go there.
The State DOESN'T own all of the island, there are a hand full of private proberty owners, they also don't own our one room school house or the church.
And that is the State of Ohio and the Department of Natural Resources low down with the Upper Lake Erie Islands.

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:43 pm

Thanks for the info guys! You two are my inside info on the island :lol:

I was wondering if you guys know how much the people in the lawsuit were awarded? I know one woman who broke her heel was awarded $550,000. What about the family of the man who died?

Were either of you two on the island that weekend?
Mills, from Cincinnati

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives!!!!

Taz

Postby Taz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:10 pm

I was at the Police Academy in Georgia when that happened, I remember reading about it on the internet, and was worried about all my PIB buddies.
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

Katrinka

Postby Katrinka » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:15 pm

I was there the week before. And was very sad when it happened. I loved LONZ's.

islander

Postby islander » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:25 pm

There were a lot of out of court settlements.
Taz where in Ga. were you living? I had just moved back from Ga when that happened. I lived up in Gainesville and was a manager at Lazy Days Marina on Lake Lanier.

WCM

Postby WCM » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Ironically, that was the only weekend that summer I wasn't there (I had a friend in town for 4th of July). My mom called me in a panic when it happened as two of my best friends were still there working on Middle Bass - one as security at Lonz's and the other as the Dockmaster at the Miller Ferry dock (where the Sonny-S pulls in) and she was wondering if they were ok. It turned out my one friend was at home on MBI as he was working at night and the other was standing there on the dock when it happened. They both ended up helping the relief effort that day. So I only heard stories, some of which were unreal. I can't imagine what it would have been like.

Mills

Postby Mills » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:12 pm

Were you on the island that weekend?
Mills, from Cincinnati

Taz

Postby Taz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:27 pm

The Academy was in GLYNCO Georgia, right off 95, about an hour south of Savanna.
It happened at the bay, and man, I can't even remember her name!!!!!!!!!

islander

Postby islander » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:46 pm

My family has been connected with the winery since the 60's...my Dad is/was in charge of North Bass, and at the time of the accident both the winery and NB were owned by Paramount/Fireland's Winery so he was spread over both places and in the middle of everything. I was able to go in the next day and take pictures, plus stock up on all the Lonz stuff, glasses, hats, t-shirts, throw blankets, post cards...all of it.
I also have photos from my last trip to party at the winery....two weeks to the day and hour prior we were sitting at the same table as the one the guy was killed at. You can see the pop machine standing right behind my friend. That trip I took pictures of the circus in full swing back in the wine yard...then the pictures I took of the wine yard the day after the accident are really erie to look at...it is like all the "life" of the winery had been sucked out, really rather sad.
Lonz's was also my very first place of employment....back in 1986 and it was my job to walk around on Sat.'s in the wine yard and pick up bottles off the tables...what an eye opener that job was...and I'm not sure what my Dad was thinking throwing me in there with the wolves! But I loved it.
I will always have a soft spot in heart for Lonz Winery...after all it is where I was concieved.
Hope you all don't mind I just took a walk down memory lane and drug you all with me.

radman

Postby radman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:50 am

I too have fond memories of Lonz, I was raised in Bellevue, and my first underage drinks were at Lonz. This was before the deck expansion. It was before PIB had police. LOL Everyone was from Ohio or Michigan, I can’t recall anyone not being from one of the two. Rooms were $30/nite and bring your own pillow. LOL And one place charged an additional $10 if they saw you duck-walking into the lobby.
Our class reunions are 2 days long so we can have Friday nite at PIB. All the bouncers were Bowling Green Falcon wrestlers or football players. I think it was the $ound$house that would throw the hotheads and fighters in the outdoor food locker and put a screwdriver threw the handle so you could not open it. Then once a nite the Erie County Sheriff’s would come over on the 10pm ferry and pick them up. But the bouncers would give you a chance to play nice or take a “free” ferry ride with the sheriffs.

Just to be clear, I never spent time in the food locker.

Return to “General Topics”